• Politics

      • Take the Next Step

      • Contact Us

        General Admission Contact
        The New School for Social Research
        Office of Admission
        79 Fifth Avenue, 5th Floor
        New York, NY 10003
        212.229.5600 or 800.523.5411

        Department of Politics
        6 East 16th Street, Room 711A
        New York, NY 10003
        Phone: 212.229.5747 ext. 3090
        Fax: 212.229.5473

        Mailing Address
        79 5th Ave, room 711A
        New York, NY 10003 

        Chair: Jessica Pisano

        Senior Secretary: Henry Drobbin

        Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

        Student Advisor: Begoña Gerling

        View Advisor Office Schedule

        Department of Politics Handbook (PDF)

    • MA in Politics

      The MA in Politics is a 30-credit program providing students with advanced training in political analysis and political science research methods.

      With individualized advising and mentoring from faculty in the department, students specialize in one of the four departmental fields (political theory, American politics, comparative politics, or global politics) and complete two substantial research papers.

      • Degree Master of Arts (MA)
      • Credits 30 credits
      • Format Full-time or part-time, on-campus
      • Duration 2 years (full-time)
      • Start Term Fall or Spring

      View current tuition and fees
      View upcoming deadlines

      The MA in Politics prepares graduates for academic and professional careers in diverse fields, including government, NGOs, law, consulting, journalism, or further study and research at the doctoral level
      Entering students work with an individual faculty advisor. This advisor, together with the departmental student advisor, introduces them to the curriculum as a whole and helps them to formulate the program that best suits their interests and needs.

      Related Degrees

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduate Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.