Students come to The New School to challenge convention and create positive change. If you're ready to gain the skills and experiences you'll need to shape our complex world, we hope you'll apply for one of our undergraduate programs.
Each of our undergraduate colleges has unique application requirements. If you have questions about requirements for your college of interest, please email [email protected] to be connected to a member of our undergraduate team.
How to Apply
- Select your college. Not sure which college at The New School is right for you? Explore your options.
- Follow the specific application instructions. Once you've selected your college, review the application instructions and requirements for your program of interest.
- Complete the application for your intended degree. If you're applying to a bachelor's degree program at Parsons School of Design, Parsons Paris, Eugene Lang College of Liberal Arts, Mannes School of Music, the School of Jazz and Contemporary
Music, or the School of Drama, you should submit the Common Application. If you're applying to an associate's degree program at Parsons School of
Design or to the Adult Bachelor's Program, you should submit The New School’s Online Application. If you're a former New School student
applying for readmission to your former program, you should submit the Application for Readmission. If you're a current New School student applying
to a different New School college, you should submit the Internal Transfer Application. Visiting students can find more information on how to apply on our
Visiting Students website.
- Check your application status. Log in to your Admission Hub to check the status of your application
materials. Applications become complete and ready for review once all required items have been received by the Office of Admission. Allow at least ten days from the date you submitted your application for the application materials checklist to
appear. After reviewing your checklist in the Admission Hub, follow up with schools and recommenders to confirm that your transcripts, recommendations, and other materials have been sent to us.
Application Fee Waivers
We will waive application fees if:
If you believe you meet at least one of the requirements or might qualify because of your financial circumstances, please email the Office of Admission at [email protected] or
call 212.229.5150. We'll contact you if additional documentation is required.
Internal Transfer Applicants
We're committed to helping students find the best programs to meet their educational and career goals. Regular communication with advising staff, faculty, and other university administrators can help inform you on course choices and internship opportunities.
If your educational plan cannot be accommodated in the your current New School college, an internal transfer may be appropriate.
New School students may file an application for internal transfer in their second semester of study. For the application process, students applying to transfer to Parsons must submit a portfolio; students applying to transfer to a BFA program at Parsons
Paris must submit a portfolio and a Parsons Challenge (the Parsons Challenge is encouraged for BBA applicants to Parsons Paris but a portfolio is not required). Students applying to transfer to the College of Performing Arts must audition. Internal
transfer admission is subject to available space, program criteria, and the eligibility conditions listed below. We accommodate internal transfer requests whenever possible, but accommodation of these requests is not guaranteed. Students should consult
with the Financial Aid office to learn about any changes in financial aid packages before accepting an offer of admission. Students should also consult with their advisors about potential changes in their undergraduate degree completion time.
To be eligible for internal transfer, you must:
- Be in good academic standing
- Not have academic, student support, or financial holds on your student record
- Be enrolled when filing your application
- Have completed a minimum of one semester at The New School
Application requirements include:
- Submission of the Internal Transfer Application by March 1 (for fall) or October 15 (for spring; New York programs only—Parsons Paris is no
longer accepting spring applications)
- Submission of essay: Please describe your interest in the school, college, or program you are applying to. We are also interested in learning why the program you are enrolled in is not the right fit for you. Share any additional information you would
like the admission committee to know while they review your academic record. (250-600 words)
- Portfolio or audition, if applicable
- Confirmation of transfer within three weeks of offer
Applicants for Readmission
A former New School student applying for readmission to their former program should apply as a reapplicant through the Application for Readmission. You can qualify to apply as
reapplicant if you meet one of the following conditions:
- You haven't been enrolled at The New School for four consecutive semesters.
- You withdrew from The New School and didn't take a formal leave of absence.
- You were dismissed for academic or disciplinary reasons.
If readmitted, students are not guaranteed the same merit scholarship and/or need-based financial aid received when they were first enrolled at The New School and, if eligible, will need to submit an updated FAFSA for need-based financial aid consideration.
Application requirements include:
- Submission of the Application for Readmission by April 1 (for fall at Parsons Paris), July 15 (for fall at The New School in New York), or October 15 (for spring; New York
programs only—Parsons Paris is no longer accepting spring applications)
- Submission of essay: Please explain why you left The New School, your activities since your departure, your reasons for wishing to return, and why you believe you will be successful at The New School. Share any additional information you would like
the admission committee to know while reviewing your record. (250-600 words)
- Portfolio (Parsons Paris only) or audition (College of Performing Arts)
- Absence of academic, student support, or financial holds on your student record
- Commitment to re-enrolling within three weeks of your offer