Students come to The New School to challenge convention and create positive change. If you're ready to acquire the skills and experience you'll need to shape our complex world, we hope you'll apply for one of our graduate, PhD, or advanced certificate
Each of our programs has unique application requirements. We’ve created instructional videos to assist you in preparing the various elements of your
application file. If you have additional questions about requirements for your college of interest, please email [email protected] to be connected to a member of our graduate team.
How to Apply
- Select your college. Not sure which program at The New School is right for you? Explore your options.
- Follow the specific application instructions. Once you've selected your program, review its application instructions and requirements.
- Complete the application for your intended degree. All applicants to MA, MS, MFA, MArch, MPS, MM, and PhD degree programs; professional studies diploma programs; and graduate certificate programs should submit The New School’s Online Application.
- Check your application status. Log in to your Admission Hub to check the status of your application
materials. Applications become complete and ready for review once all required items have been received by the Office of Admission. Allow at least ten days from the date you submitted your application for the application materials checklist to
appear. After reviewing your checklist in the Admission Hub, follow up with schools and recommenders to confirm that your transcripts, recommendations, and other materials have been sent to us.
- Parsons School of Design—all programs
- Parsons Paris—Fashion Design and the Arts (MFA), Fashion Studies (MA)
- College of Performing Arts—Arts Management and Entrepreneurship (MA), Performer-Composer (MM)
- School of Drama, College of Performing Arts—Contemporary Theatre and Performance (MFA)
- Mannes School of Music, College of Performing Arts—all programs
- The New School for Social Research—all programs
- Creative Writing, Schools of Public Engagement—Creative Writing (MFA)
- Julien J. Studley Programs in International Affairs, Schools of Public Engagement—International Affairs (MA, MS)
- Milano School of Policy, Management, and Environment, Schools of Public Engagement—all programs
- School of Media Studies, Schools of Public Engagement—all programs
Application Fee Waivers
The New School can provide application fee waivers for international and domestic students with demonstrated financial hardship that makes paying the application fee burdensome. The online admission application allows applicants to provide information
regarding their personal situation and indicate the need for a fee waiver. Once you begin your admission application, you'll have the option to pursue this process.
In addition, The New School provides application fee waivers for applicants applying with affiliation with select organizations (e.g., IIE or Fulbright and Peace Corps). Applicants are prompted to indicate this information in the online application.
Former New School students applying for readmission to their former program should apply as reapplicants through the Graduate Application. Students seeking readmission to a degree program
must first confirm that their program is still active and that they are meeting time limit requirements (if applicable) before completing this application.
Currently enrolled New School graduate students who are making a request to add a graduate certificate to their current degree program should apply through the Internal Application.
Graduate students interested in applying as visiting or exchange students should email their admission representatives. Selected programs allow for visiting graduate students.