• Liberal Studies

      • Take the Next Step

      • Contact Us

        General Admission Contact
        The New School for Social Research
        Office of Admission
        79 Fifth Avenue, 5th Floor
        New York, NY 10003
        212.229.5600 or 800.523.5411

        Committee on Liberal Studies
        6 East 16th Street, room 711A
        New York, NY 10003
        Tel: 212.229.2747 ext. 3026
        Fax: 212.229.5473 

        Mailing Address
        79 5th Ave, room 711A
        New York, NY 10003

        Chair: Paul Kottman

        Senior Secretary: Jeff Feld

        Office Hours:
        Monday-Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
        Thursday, 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

        Student Advisor: Tom Ward

        Advisor Office Schedule

        Department of Liberal Studies Handbook (PDF)

    • MA in Liberal Studies

      The 30-credit MA in Liberal Studies is decidedly interdisciplinary, ideal for students whose intellectual interests cross departmental boundaries.

      Equipped with the ability to investigate social and cultural issues from a holistic perspective, our graduates pursue a wide variety of professional and academic careers.

      • Degree Master of Arts (MA)
      • Credits 30 credits
      • Format Full-time or part-time, on-campus
      • Duration 2 years (full-time)
      • Start Term Fall or Spring

      View current tuition and fees
      View upcoming deadlines

      Every Liberal Studies MA student is assigned a faculty advisor, who helps students clarify their research interests and take advantage of the educational resources available at The New School to design a program of study that meets their needs and goals. Many graduates of the MA in Liberal Studies enter PhD programs at The New School for Social Research or at other top universities, and others pursue professional paths in teaching, journalism, cultural organizations, government, and other fields. 

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduate Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.