The New School for Social Research


Financial Aid and Scholarships

  • The New School for Social Research is committed to helping students meet their educational expenses and provides various types of financial assistance in the form of scholarships, fellowships, assistantships, stipends, federal loans, and federal work-study. Financial aid is awarded on the basis of academic merit and need. Aid is funded by a variety of public and private sources, some of which are limited to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

    Scholarships and fellowships are generally available only to students taking at least nine credits per semester and support study during the academic year (fall and spring semesters). Equivalency credits do not qualify students for tuition scholarships. Students receiving U.S. government financial aid must take at least six credits per semester. Students who wish to receive financial aid for summer term courses should contact the Office of Financial Aid well in advance. Applicants and students should note that all nontuition aid is considered taxable income by the U.S. government.

    While the university makes every effort to keep annual tuition increases to a minimum, students should anticipate tuition increases from year to year. At the same time, the school is committed to increasing its support for financial aid. In recent years, financial aid has often been increased at the same rate as tuition, in some years at a higher rate. However, this does not mean that the full tuition increase has been or will be matched dollar for dollar by the increase in financial aid.

    Continuing New School for Social Research students who apply for financial aid by the stated application deadline, take a full course load, maintain satisfactory academic progress, and continue to demonstrate financial need will be considered for a renewal of their scholarship awards for up to three years (or five years for clinical psychology students). Visit the NSSR scholarship page for more information for continuing students.

    The Office of Student Academic Affairs coordinates fellowships, scholarships, assistantships, and other institutional awards for The New School for Social Research.

    The university Office of Student Financial Services offers a comprehensive program of financial services for all matriculated students, including institutional scholarship support to eligible students on the basis of merit and need and providing information and assistance with U.S. government loan programs and work-study.

    How to Apply for Financial Aid

    In general, to be eligible for financial assistance students must be matriculated in a degree program and be enrolled at least half-time. In addition, to be eligible for U.S. government assistance, a student must not be in default or owe a refund to any of the federal aid programs. Students interested in applying for the government and institutional financial assistance programs listed above must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using The New School's code of 002780. FAFSA must be refiled annually. File this application electronically at

    Submission of the FAFSA enables Student Financial Services to receive a need analysis report, or Student Aid Report, electronically.

    International students are not eligible and should not file FAFSA. They may, however, be eligible for institutional scholarships, fellowships, and other forms of support and can apply by filing the NSSR Application for Scholarship support.

    Details on all tuition, fees, and other education-related expenses can be obtained by contacting Student Financial Services. Students are entitled to request information on all programs and application procedures in a paper format and can do so by contacting Student Financial Services at 212.229.8930.