The university supports programs and activities that enrich the educational, artistic, and cultural experience for students pursuing higher education at The New School. From time to time, these may include excursions away from the campus. Excursions complement classroom learning and enrich student life activities.
The New School Policy on University-Sponsored Excursions
In order to ensure the health and well-being of students who participate in University sponsored excursions, the following procedures apply effective November 1, 2000.
The Senior Vice President for Student Services will work with the sponsor of the excursion to ensure that all health and safety issues have been addressed. These issues will differ from excursion to excursion. The following guidelines will apply to every excursion:
- No member of the university—faculty, staff, or student—is to serve as driver for a university-sponsored excursion or shall house any students in an apartment, home or other facility owned by any faculty or staff member.
- Each student attendee is to file a release form, emergency contact sheet, and an excursion agreement.
- In some cases, a student life chaperone will be designed to accompany the group. (Revenue sources will have to accommodate this expense.)
- The on-site coordinator of the excursion or student life chaperone is to immediately contact the Senior Vice President for Student Services if there is an incident during the excursion. In addition, a travel incident report must be completed and faxed within 24 hours of the incident. The Senior Vice President is also to be contacted when the excursion has concluded.
- Each student attendee must provide documentation of current health insurance coverage.
- No promotion or public advertising for any excursion is to take place until approval for the excursion has been granted.
- Excursion proposals must be submitted with ample time for review, revision, and, upon approval, excursion planning.
- International students will have to begin planning, with the help of their international student advisors, at least two months prior to the start of the semester in which they will travel.
Authorization and approval for domestic and international travel should be obtained according to the information below.