Parsons students are designers, artists, and scholars who learn to apply the transformative capacity of design responsibly, creatively, and purposefully. Our diverse community of students and faculty explores multiple sites and scales of engagement, from on-campus research initiatives to partnerships that bring about change in New York and in the world.
Parsons’ future will be shaped by the core values that have defined our past: curricular innovation, collaborative methods, pioneering uses of technology, and experimentation. As part of The New School, Parsons shares an institutional vision that aligns with shifts in the global economy, society, and environment, which animate our mission and our values:
- Creativity, innovation, and a desire to challenge the status quo, both in what and how we teach and in the intellectual ambitions of the School itself
- Social engagement, orienting students’ academic experience to help them become critically engaged citizens dedicated to solving problems and contributing to the public good.
We will fulfill our mission by extending The New School’s legacy as a nontraditional academic community, nimble and responsive to change, that:
- Focuses on and engages with critical contemporary issues
- Prioritizes humanity and culture in designing systems and environments to improve the human condition, an approach that draws on design thinking and the liberal, creative, and performing arts
- Places project-based learning at the center of the educational experience
- Takes full advantage of our New York City location and connectivity to global urban centers.