Information On The Coronavirus

Recent Updates: The New School has released its academic plan for 2020-21 and a phased reopening plan for its New York campus. Please check the Parsons Paris website for information about our Paris campus. Learn more.

  • Visa Information

    Welcome to our general information for foreign national employees and employing colleges at The New School. Below are links containing useful information about foreign national new hire procedure and policies, visa information and other resources.

    It is the responsibility of the employee to keep the Office of Human Resources apprised of any changes in authorization to work/immigration status during the duration of employment. Status changes that affect authorization to work must be reported to our office on a timely basis. These status changes include, but are not limited to:

    • Change of visa
    • Extension of visa
    • Changes to I-20/DS-2019 (Students only)
    • Adjustment to permanent resident status

    Please be advised that employment is contingent upon being legally authorized to work for the University in the particular position held. Failure to notify Human Resources of changes in work authorization/status may result in termination of employment.

  • Common Visas

    H-1B Visa

    The H-1B visa is available for professionals who wish to enter the U.S. to work in a "specialty occupation" job, which requires a bachelor's degree or its equivalent. The H-1B visa is employer specific. The New School will not employ foreign nationals sponsored by a third party. Colleges seeking to sponsor a foreign national under this visa should contact the General Council's Office for more information. Please be advised that The New School will not co-sponsor H-1B or any other working visa.

    F-1 Visa

    Employment under F-1 status is limited. F-1 visa holders are allowed to work for and/or under supervision of the sponsoring institution. F-1 Students cannot work more than 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. This rule does not apply during summer, winter, and spring breaks. The New School may not employ F-1 students sponsored by other academic institutions, except under practical training.

    J-1 Visas

    J-1s are a slightly more complex type of visa. Most visas have a single purpose — for example, the F-1 visa is always a student visa and the H-1B visa is always a work visa. A foreign national may apply for a J-1 visa with the intention of studying in a degree program or with the intention of obtaining temporary employment in the United States. The restrictions applicable to the J-1 visa holder are determined by the individual's primary purpose, which can be found in the DS-2019 document.

    J-1 As a Student

    The J-1 will take on the characteristics of the F-1 visa. A foreign national under a J-1, whose primary purpose is to engage in educational/learning activities, will follow all rules and regulations that apply to an F-1 visa holder. This includes eligibility for practical training and all other employment rules as described above.

    Practical Training

    Practical training allows the F-1 student to work outside of the sponsoring institution. Not all foreign nationals qualify for practical training. The application and eligibility process for New School students is handled by International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). There are two types of practical training: Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT).


    An F-1 visa holder may apply for CPT while completing his or her studies. Approval for CPT must be granted by the sponsoring institution. When approval is granted, the following information must be present in the student's I-20: start and end dates for the duration of status and the company/institution where the student is to engage in practical training.


    An F-1 visa holder may be eligible for OPT upon completion of studies. Unlike CPT, OPT requires an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which is issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services once approved. Additionally, a copy of the student's transcript and a job description from the hiring department/division must also be included as part of the new hire package.

    Social Security

    All employees, U.S. citizens, permanent residents and foreign nationals alike are required by federal law to provide The New School with a valid Social Security number. Individuals without a valid Social Security number are not eligible for employment. The Social Security number serves as the taxpayer ID with which The New School reports all income and withholdings to the Internal Revenue Service.

    Foreign nationals must apply and be approved for a Social Security number prior to engaging in any form of employment. The application and instructions can be found on the International Student and Scholar Services website.

    Helpful Tips

    • Contact the Social Security Administration immediately if you have not received your card within two weeks after receiving the approval letter.
    • ITINs are not a substitute for a Social Security number.
    • Sign your card immediately; your Social Security card is not valid until it is signed.

    Foreign National New Hire Checklist

    To avoid processing and payment delays, include all the original, signed forms and supporting documents listed below. Please note that incomplete new hire paperwork will not be processed.


    • Payroll Authorization Form
    • Foreign National Data Sheet
      • Passport
      • I-94
      • Social Security Card or letter of approval from S.S. Administration
      • Visa (does not apply to Canadian and Mexican citizens)
      • I-20 (F-1 visa holders only) or DS-2019 (J-1 visa holders only). Please note that you may use the foreign passport and I-94 card as indicated on List A of the I-9 Form instruction page. Do not photocopy more than one document per page.
    • Personal Data Sheet
    • IT-2104
    • Affirmative Action Data Form
    • Direct Deposit Form (optional but strongly recommended). Please include one of the following:
      • Voided Check
      • Letter from Bank