The Admission Committee will make a decision on your application only after all the required materials have been received.
You can download these instructions.
- Application Form: Complete the online application.
- Application Fee: Pay the $50 nonrefundable application fee online by credit card.
- Official High School or College Transcripts: All applicants must submit official high school and/or college transcripts. Transfer applicants who have completed fewer than 24 college credits (on a semester system) must also submit their high school transcript. Transfer credit will only be reviewed for colleges listed on the application.
Transcripts for Fashion Marketing and Graphic Design Online: Applicants who plan to complete the AAS degree entirely online must already have an undergraduate degree or sufficient undergraduate credits to fulfill the AAS degree requirement of 21 credits in humanities, including six credits in English.
International Transcripts: All applicants who attended high school or college outside the United States must submit original transcripts from each institution attended along with a certified English language translation. Applicants who would like to transfer academic credits earned at non-U.S. institutions must also have their transcript(s) evaluated by World Education Services (WES), our preferred provider, or by another member of the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES). A course-by-course evaluation report must be prepared for each transcript. Please start the evaluation process as early as possible, including the submission of all required documents to WES (or another provider), in order to ensure the timely completion of the evaluation report. In addition, an admission counselor may require a transcript evaluation by WES or an NACES-approved evaluator if it is deemed a necessary part of the admission decision process, even when applicants do not want transfer credits applied to a program of interest. Instruct the provider to send the report to
Parsons The New School for Design
Office of Admission
72 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10011
If you are requesting a report online, search for “New School Parsons” when selecting our institution.
If your provider is unable to send the evaluation report directly to the Office of Admission, please obtain the report yourself and send it to Parsons along with a Materials Cover Sheet (PDF).
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): TOEFL score is required if English is not your native language. Minimum Score requirement: 550 paper-based; 213 computer-based; 79 Internet-based.
Minimum Score Requirement for Fashion Marketing Online and Graphic Design Online Applicants: 580 paper-based; 237 computer-based; 92 Internet-based.
International students should register to take the exam on the earliest date available. Visit the Educational Testing Service for more information.
As an alternative to the TOEFL, you may enroll in ESL+Design Certificate program offered by The New School. You must pass ESL Level 5 courses in order to waive the TOEFL requirement. Visit the ESL website for more information.
- Statement of Intent: Write a one-page statement describing the events and ideas that led to your interest in the major stated on your application form. Please note that this statement must be uploaded with your online application.
- Creative Assignment: Please complete the assignment for the program to which you are applying (described below). The Creative Assignment is required as an essential advising tool.
Creative Assignment Instructions
It is strongly recommended that you submit the creative assignment as an attachment to your online application.
If the assignment must be mailed separately, you may submit a cross-platform CD-ROM or DVD (save each image as a JPEG no larger than 2MB and clearly label the CD or DVD with your name and date of birth date). If you are sending original artwork, note that items larger than 8.5" x 11" will not be accepted. In either case, please attach the Materials Cover Sheet (Adobe PDF).
Fashion Design: Create a collage that defines the lifestyle of the kind of woman or man for whom you would like to design. Use images taken from magazines and pay attention to colors, textures, and other basic elements.
Fashion Marketing: Write a one-page analysis of a real fashion marketing campaign that you consider successful.
Graphic Design: Design a postage stamp depicting your favorite fruit or vegetable. Submit an 8" x 8" solution.
Interior Design: Present a collage of images illustrating your ideas for the design of a small advertising agency office in an urban townhouse. Your collage should include details (descriptions, images, or both) of the kinds of furniture, the colors, and the materials you would use to execute your ideas.
- Applicants must have graduated from high school at least two years prior to be eligible to apply.
- Submitted Materials: All materials submitted to the Office of Admission become the property of Parsons.
- Accepted Applications: When notified of acceptance, applicants will receive complete instructions for additional procedures regarding financial aid, housing, tuition and fees, I-20 visas (for nonresidents of the United States), and other matters. The decision to admit applicants is always contingent upon their successful completion of any current studies and the receipt of their final transcripts. All accepted students are must have their official final transcripts on file before they begin classes.
- Interviews: Personal interviews are not required. Prospective students who have questions about Parsons or the admission process are encouraged to attend an information session. Review the Admission Calendar for dates and times.