• The New School is dedicated to creating a welcoming environment for all members of the university community inclusive of race, ethnicity, national origin, culture, language, gender and gender expression, sexuality, religious and political beliefs, age, and ability. The university stands against all forms of discrimination and oppression, whether directed against individuals or groups.

    The New School Safe Zone program assembles a voluntary network of faculty, staff, and student advocates to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, intersex, asexual, and gender nonconforming (LGBTQIAGNC) community, creating a safe and supportive campus environment.

    After introductory Safe Zone training, students, faculty, and staff can display a Safe Zone sign on their lockers, desks, backpacks, or office doors. This signifies support for LGBTQIAGNC people and identifies those who display the sign as advocates and/or allies who can be safely approached for support or guidance. To be trained or receive more information about Safe Zone, email safezone@newschool.edu or call 212.229.1671, option 4.

    The Safe Zone team publicizes the program, distributes materials, and provides introductory training to those who wish to become involved, and educates the larger community about the meaning of the signs and the importance of building safe and inclusive spaces for all students.

  • Contact Us

    Student Health and Support Services
    80 Fifth Avenue, 3rd floor
    New York, NY 10011  
    212.229.1671, option 4

  • Suicide Prevention Hotlines

    Suicide Prevention Lifeline

    Trevor Lifeline
    LGBTQ Suicide Prevention Hotline

    Crisis Hotline for NYC Residents
    English: 800.543.3638
    Spanish: 877.298.3373
    Korean and Chinese: 877.990.8585

    Trans Lifeline
    Trans-Run Suicide Prevention Hotline

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduate Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.