• Our goal is to centralize policies, information, activities, and support systems for students, faculty, and staff across the university who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, asexual, and gender nonconforming (LGBTQIAGNC). As information and resources evolve, so will these pages, so please feel free to contact safezone@newschool.edu to alert us to new relevant information, resources, groups, events, and policies.

    Our aspiration is to build a respectful, supportive, inclusive community and learning environment for all people at The New School. We work toward this goal in many different ways. These include:

    • Maintaining physical and electronic resources for the community
    • Educating and reaching out to students, faculty, and staff with trainings
    • Advocating for change across campus to increase LGBTQIAGNC inclusion and improve the university’s response to instances of potential bias and exclusion
    • Building community

    With the support of the university, a working group of staff, students, and faculty are developing means by which trans* students, staff, and faculty can have their preferred name and gender pronouns seamlessly communicated across university systems. The group is also supporting efforts to create a more inclusive university culture. For more information or if you are interested in getting involved, contact Tracy Robin at robint@newschool.edu.

  • Contact Us

    Student Health and Support Services
    80 Fifth Avenue, 3rd floor
    New York, NY 10011  
    212.229.1671, option 4

  • Suicide Prevention Hotlines

    Suicide Prevention Lifeline

    Trevor Lifeline
    LGBTQ Suicide Prevention Hotline

    Crisis Hotline for NYC Residents
    English: 800.543.3638
    Spanish: 877.298.3373
    Korean and Chinese: 877.990.8585

    Trans Lifeline
    Trans-Run Suicide Prevention Hotline

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduate Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.