• An internship is a temporary work experience designed to help a student learn by doing, usually in a field that complements the student's academic program. Internships are normally between three and six months in duration. Many academic programs at The New School strongly encourage or even require an internship experience, and students can often earn academic credit for an approved internship. Most internships are unpaid, but some are paid or include a stipend for expenses.

    Want to know what our students are doing? Check out our Student Spotlight!


    Career Services can work with students to find an appropriate internship. If you are an undergraduate student, you can make an appointment with your Success Advisor (career advisor and academic advisor) via Starfish. For all other appointment inquiries, please email careerservices@newschool.edu.

    Before talking to a counselor about an internship, review some frequently asked questions about internships.

  • Registering Your Internship Credit

  • Internship Criteria

  • During Your Internship

  • Grading

  • International Students

  • Contact Us

    Undergraduate Career Services
    68 Fifth Avenue, 2nd floor
    New York, NY 10011
    Phone: 212.229.1324

    Center for Graduate Career and Professional Development
    72 Fifth Avenue, 5th floor
    New York, NY 10011
    Phone: 212.229.5400 x1518

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduate Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.