• Employment is any work performed or services provided (including self-employment) in exchange for money or other benefit or compensation (for example, free room and board in exchange for babysitting). Always contact the ISSS office before accepting a job on or off campus to ensure that you are eligible and are following the proper procedures. 

    On-Campus Employment

    All F-1 students are allowed to work on campus as soon as they arrive in the United States in F-1 student status to attend The New School. You do not need to get official work authorization from ISSS before you start an on-campus job, but you still need to speak with an ISSS advisor to ensure that the work qualifies as on-campus employment. 

    Requirements for On-Campus Employment

    • On-campus work must be limited to 20 hours per week while classes are in session but can be full-time during official breaks and vacations. Students may not work more than 20 hours per week, even if they receive dean or supervisor approval.
    • The New School has updated the fall semester structure. The fall semester now runs from late August to late January. This includes a standard part of the term (August to December) and a winter part of the term (December to January). During the winter part of the term, students may work a maximum of 20 hours per week, as it is still part of the fall semester and is not an official break.
    • Employment must take place either at a student's school or at an off-campus location that is educationally affiliated with the school (one that is associated with the school's established curriculum or with contractually funded research projects at the postgraduate level).

    Where to Find Jobs

    Any student worker positions designated as Federal Work Study are a form of federal financial aid and are thus open only to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

    Off-Campus Employment

    In order to participate in any off-campus employment, you must obtain work authorization through the ISSS office. Unauthorized employment is taken very seriously by U.S. immigration officials. Familiarize yourself with your F-1 off-campus employment options, and always contact ISSS before accepting any work that you are not sure is authorized.

    Curricular Practical TrainingOptional Practical Training
    Takes place during program
    Employment offer needed
    Academic credit
    Authorized by the Experience Office within 15 business days
    No fee
    Authorization on I-20
    Usually takes place after program ends
    No employment offer
    No academic credit
    Authorized by USCIS within 90 calendar days or more
    USCIS application fee
    Authorization on EAD card

    How to Apply for a Social Security Number

    See the Social Security section for more information about the SSN application process. If you have been issued an SSN for a past experience, you do not need to apply for a new number.

  • Contact Us & Office Hours

    72 Fifth Avenue, 3rd floor
    New York, NY 10011
    [email protected]

    May 28–August 16

    Phone Hours
    Weekdays, 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m.
    Closed Wednesday

    Virtual Drop-In Hours
    Tuesday and Thursday, 10:00 a.m.–12:00 noon 
    Meeting Link

    One-on-One Virtual Advising
    Enrolled students sign up through Starfish.
    Non-enrolled students call the office to schedule.

    Emergency After-Hours Phone

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.