Recent Updates: The New School has plans to re-open its New York City campus for in-person teaching and learning in fall 2021. Please check the Parsons Paris website for information about our Paris campus. Learn more.

  • Federal Student Aid
  • All need-based awards and federal student aid, including federal loans, are based on your financial need and eligibility as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Any U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is a student in a degree-granting program should submit a FAFSA to be considered for federal aid.


    You must be admitted to a degree, diploma, or graduate-level certificate program and enrolled in at least 6 credits per semester to be eligible for federal financial aid. For a brief overview, download the Financial Aid Eligibility and Application Chart

    See below for information on other factors that may affect federal aid eligibility.

    For next steps, visit the Apply for Aid section and select the appropriate topic for your situation.

    FAFSA Verification

    Each academic year, approximately one-third of FAFSAs are randomly selected for a federally required process called verification. In these cases, and in any instance where an application appears to include inaccurate or conflicting information, students are required to submit a Verification Worksheet along with additional required documentation.

    If you receive such a request from the Office of Financial Aid, we recommend that you complete your verification within 30 days of notification to ensure that your financial aid is reflected on your bill and to avoid forfeiture of your financial aid. Your verification must be completed before you can receive your financial aid award letter.

    If you or your parent did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to transfer your tax information directly to your FAFSA, you can update your FAFSA and use the DRT, order an IRS Tax Return Transcript, or submit your 1040 tax return to complete your verification.

    Please submit your verification worksheet and all requested information to our Secure Drop-Box, by mail, or in person at our office at 72 Fifth Avenue, second floor. For security reasons, please do not send sensitive personal information by email. 

    Federal Aid Disqualifications

    A criminal conviction for violation of state or federal drug laws can disqualify a student from receiving federal student aid if the offense occurred during a period in which the student was receiving federally funded Title IV aid. See the official policy statement, which is summarized in the chart below. Note: Conspiring to sell drugs counts as sale of drugs.

    OffenseDisqualification Period for PossessionDisqualification Period for Sale
    First1 year from conviction date2 years from conviction date
    Second2 years from convictionIndefinite

    Satisfactory Academic Progress

    Federal regulations require that colleges monitor the academic progress of each applicant for federal financial assistance, including loans, grants, and work-study awards. The New School is required to certify that each student receiving federal aid is making satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward earning their degree. This determination of progress must be made at least once a year, typically at the end of the spring semester, after spring grades are released and before the Office of Financial Aid awards or disburses any federal aid funds for the next semester. 

    Students who fail to meet the minimum SAP standards are placed on Financial Aid Suspension and are notified by email. If you are notified that you have been placed on Financial Aid Suspension, you can request that your financial aid eligibility be restored by submitting an SAP Request for Review. The priority deadline for submitting a SAP Request for Review for the upcoming school year is June 26. In order for potential financial aid to be reflected on your invoice, your appeal must be received by June 26. Appeals will not be accepted after July 31.

    The full Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy is available for download.

    Please note that decisions about academic probation and institutional scholarship eligibility are separate from the process of certifying that SAP standards are being met.

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.