• The New School is a vibrant global community that welcomes students from around the world. In fact, we have 116 countries represented in our student body. Whether you are an international student or scholar or an exchange visitor at The New School, you are joining a diverse, thriving academic and artistic community in one of the world's greatest cities.

    International Student and Scholar Services

    Our International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office guides students and scholars through the process of obtaining an I-20 or DS-2019 in order to apply for their visas. ISSS also advises on issues such as immigration status, employment authorization, and other student and scholar visa-related matters.

    We offer international students cultural support to help make The New School feel like their home away from home. Starting with Orientation, we support international students throughout their time at The New School, providing assistance and expert advice during their academic career and beyond.

    Application Instructions

    Review the Undergraduate Application Instructions or Graduate Application Instructions for your college and program to learn about specific requirements for international applicants, including:

    • Transcript requirements (which may include a certified English language translation)
    • Evaluation by World Education Services or by another member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (if applicable)
    • TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE requirements for applicants whose first language is not English

    English as a Second Language (ESL) Certificate Programs

    The New School's ESL certificate programs offer advanced English-language training to help international students prepare for general or subject-specific study at The New School.

  • Contact Us

    Office of Admission
    72 Fifth Avenue
    New York, NY 10011

    212.229.5150 or 800.292.3040

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduate Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.