• In order to consider academic and programmatic adjustments, The New School needs documentation from a qualified clinician that includes

    • A diagnosis of the disability or disabilities
    • A list of functional limitations the student will experience in an academic environment
    • Possible appropriate academic accommodations

    The documentation should also include the credentials of the diagnosing professional(s); the date of the most current diagnostic evaluation; and the date of the original diagnosis. Additional information that could prove helpful includes any treatments, medications, and assistive devices and services currently prescribed and a description of the expected prognosis or stability of the impact of the disability over time.

    It is important to note that test and evaluation results as well as diagnostic labels are not, in and of themselves, sufficient in terms of accommodation requests. A clinician's evaluative summary of these test and evaluation results that includes the information listed above is needed. A qualified clinician is considered a professional with credentials that would be generally accepted as appropriate to diagnose the disability. It is recommended that the student speak with his or her doctor or practitioner to create documentation that appropriately explains the nature of the disability in such a way that the Student Disability Services office can make necessary and suitable accommodations.

    In all cases, documentation should be recent enough to describe the current status of the disability. Older documentation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. In addition, statements from other schools as to what accommodations were provided are, in and of themselves, not sufficient for services and will not be accepted as official documentation.

    Documentation received will be treated as confidential and will not become part of a student's permanent record. Information provided will be shared within the university on a need-to-know basis and with the sole intent of providing related services to the student. In some cases, as in the diagnosis of an unfamiliar disease, the documentation may be referred to a physician in the Student Health Services Center for review.

    Documentation should be sent directly to the Student Disability Services (SDS) office by postal mail, fax, or email attachment (PDF).

    Students are strongly encouraged to obtain updated documentation at the start of each academic year when reasonable. The university reserves the right to ask for updated documentation before providing accommodations.

    All documentation should follow the guidelines stated above. Below is additional information for specific disabilities.

  • Contact Us

    Student Disability Services
    63 Fifth Avenue, room 425
    New York, NY 10003
    [email protected]
    Fax: 646.993.6677

  • Related Links

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.