• Updating Your Academic Records

    Updating Your Contact Information

    The Office of the Registrar maintains addresses and telephone numbers for currently enrolled students. It is important for all students, especially international students, to keep their home and local addresses and phone numbers current in the university's records. You can view and update your contact information, including your official, local, permanent, and diploma mailing addresses, through my.newschool.edu.

    Transferring Credits

    Credits earned at other institutions are evaluated for transfer by the admission committee during the admission process or by the student's academic advisor or the dean's office of the student's academic program. All transfer credits must be submitted no later than one semester after admission for new students or one semester after you complete the course for continuing students. Consult your school's academic catalog for eligibility and procedures. Questions and disputes about transfer credits should be taken up with your dean's office or Academic Advisor, not the Registrar's Office.

    Courses completed at non-U.S. institutions must be certified by their respective country's Ministry of Education or equivalent. All applicants must submit an official transcript. Applicants who attended postsecondary institutions outside of the United States are required to have their transcript(s) evaluated by World Education Services (WES) or by another member of the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES). A course-by-course evaluation must be prepared for each transcript. The evaluation must examine and equate all course work on a "course-by-course" basis and include grading equivalents to U.S. colleges. Certain postsecondary institutions outside of the United States are exempted from the required transcript evaluation.

    The Registrar's Office posts approved transfer credits to the student's transcript. Note that The New School does not transfer grades or grade points from other institution. Credit points only are transferred.

    Change of Legal Name

    You may request for a change to your legal name by completing the Change of Legal Name form. The form must be submitted with at least one of the following supporting documents: a certified court order, marriage license, divorce decree, social security card, passport, etc. reflecting your new legal name. All supporting documentation must be in English or be submitted with a certified English translation.

    All official University documents, including but not limited to transcripts, verification letters, and diplomas, will reflect a student's legal name (as it appears on a legal or government issued document such as birth certificate, social security card, court order, passport, etc.) after the change has been approved. Current or former students wishing to obtain replacements to their university documents with their changed legal name will need to so by requesting new copies or replacements of those documents (charges may apply).

    Disclaimer: This policy does not stipulate a contract. The New School reserves the right to modify, change, alter, or rescind our policy at any time.

    Change of Non-Legal Name (Preferred Name)

    Current students who have not legally changed their names can request that the university notify their instructors of their preferred first name and pronoun. Students should contact the Office of Intercultural Support at 212.229.8996 or ois@newschool.edu for more information. Please note that a preferred name will not be displayed on any legal documentation, including transcripts, bills or receipts of payment, tax documentation, financial aid paperwork, diplomas, verification letters or I-20 documents.

    If you are an alumni who wishes to change your preferred name, please contact Alumni Relations at alumni@newschool.edu.