• On-Campus Student Checklist

    Sheila Johnson Design Center

    Use the list below to ensure you've completed everything that's needed before classes begin. Explore this site to learn about New Student Orientation, registering for classes, and more.

    Please Note

    If you have not yet deposited, please visit the Accepted Students tab in MyNewSchool before continuing.

  • New School Email and MyNewSchool Announcements

    All new students will be assigned a New School email account within two business days of receipt of their tuition deposit. You can access your New School email account by logging in to MyNewSchool, clicking on the Apps icon (three horizontal lines located in the upper right portion of the screen), and selecting Email. You can also go directly to mail.newschool.edu.

    On the MyNewSchool Me tab, you will find My Announcements, where important information and updates from your school and program will be posted. You will also find University Announcements, a hub for announcements of events, workshops, special offers, and opportunities available to the entire student body.

    Remember that all official university email communications will be sent only to MyNewSchool and your New School email address, so be sure to check them regularly.

    New School ID Card

    As a member of the New School community, you are required to obtain a newcard, your official university ID card. It functions as your key to campus facilities and student services. Your newcard must be presented for building access, library lending, meal plan purchases, admittance to special New School events, and other purposes.

    As a new incoming student, you must — before arriving on campus — submit a color photo online to be used to create your newcard. For more information, visit the newcard website. You'll pick up your newcard when you arrive on campus in August.

    International Students

    Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents (green card holders) must complete the required forms before they can apply for a visa to study in the United States. International students can access the link to the online International Student Application Packet in their acceptance letters or in the Accepted Students tab in MyNewSchool. The webpage includes information about applying for the I-20 or DS-2019, guidelines for providing financial documents, instructions and procedures for F-1 transfer students, and other important forms and information. For more information, visit International Student and Scholar Services.

    Emergency Contact Form

    All new students must provide emergency contact information. To update your emergency contact information, log in to MyNewSchool and visit the Me tab, where you will find a link to "Update Emergency Contact Information" in the Personal Information channel. The university may use the contact information you provide in case of an emergency. If this information changes, please return to MyNewSchool to update it.


    New York State law requires that students registered for six (6) or more credits provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella and complete Step 1 of the immunization form regarding meningococcal disease. Students registered for five (5) or fewer credits and online-only students are required to complete Step 1 of the immunization form regarding meningococcal disease.

    Download the immunization form on the Student Health Services website and carefully read the instructions. Submit the completed form and required documentation, and verify that you have read the material distributed by The New School about meningococcal disease. If you do not complete these steps, a hold will be placed on your account, which will prevent you from registering for classes and making changes to your class schedule.

    If you have already submitted your immunization records and received confirmation that they are complete, no further action is necessary. For more information, email shs@newschool.edu or visit the Student Health Services website.

    Disability Accommodations (if applicable)

    Students interested in requesting reasonable accommodations for a disability should complete the Disability Self-Identification Form. For more information, visit Student Disability Services.

    University Housing

    Review rates and apply for student housing at Student Housing and Residence Life. Campus housing cannot be guaranteed but is assigned as available. Note: Housing applications cannot be processed until both tuition and housing deposits have been received. If you have any questions, contact Student Housing and Residence Life at 212.229.5459 or email universityhousing@newschool.edu.

    Financial Aid

    All new students who have submitted a tuition deposit should already have completed the financial aid process. If you have not yet applied for aid, visit Student Financial Services for information and instructions.

    If you are eligible for financial aid (or scholarships) and have a completed application on file, you can check the status online by logging in to MyNewSchool and accessing your financial aid information in the Student Financial Services section. All new students receiving financial aid in the form of federal government-supported student loans must complete an Entrance Loan Counseling session online at www.studentloans.gov.

    If you are an international undergraduate or graduate student, learn more about funding options by visiting Student Financial Services.

    If you have not yet deposited, please visit the Accepted Student tab in MyNewSchool before continuing.

    Final Transcripts

    The New School requires all enrolled students to present a final official transcript before the start of their first semester of classes. All final official transcripts must indicate the date of graduation.

    • All undergraduate students must submit a final official transcript indicating completion of secondary school (high school) or its equivalent (GED) with the date of completion. Transfer students must also submit an updated transcript indicating all coursework completed in their final semester (required for completion of Transfer Credit Evaluation).
    • All graduate students must submit a final transcript indicating the undergraduate degree earned and the date conferred. PhD students must also provide proof of master’s degree earned and conferral date.

    Transcripts must be received in the Office of Admission by July 1 for students beginning their studies in the fall and January 15 for students beginning studies in the spring. Failure to submit the required documentation for your degree program will result in a hold on your account. A hold prevents registration for subsequent semesters and could jeopardize your financial aid awards.

    A transcript is considered official if it bears the authorizing signature and the official seal of the issuing institution, and is sent directly by the school or college to the Office of Admission. A final transcript must indicate the degree or diploma earned and date of graduation.Transcripts uploaded with your application or hand delivered in an unsealed envelope from an institution are considered unofficial.

    Review the list of documents (PDF) we accept as proof of graduation. Please email enroll@newschool.edu if your particular situation and school documentation are not outlined in the list. Use the Transcript Request Form (PDF) to request a final transcript, to be sent to the Office of Admission. Transcripts should be mailed from a student’s school in a sealed envelope to:

    The New School
    Office of Admission
    79 Fifth Avenue, 5th floor
    New York, NY 10003

    Electronic transcripts are also accepted from the following vendors (U.S./domestic institutions only):

    • Parchment Exchange
    • National Student Clearinghouse
    • Naviance
    • Script-Safe International

    The Office of Admission may require that a student submit an evaluation of his or her final transcript by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) provider.

    Register for New Student Orientation

    New Student Orientation for new on-campus undergraduate and graduate students beginning their studies in the fall 2018 semester takes place from Sunday, August 19, through Sunday, August 26. All new students are expected to attend.

    Check back over the summer for more information about fall 2018 orientation.

    Student Health Insurance

    All degree, diploma, online-only, visiting, mobility (study abroad), maintenance of status, Lang and Parsons consortium, graduate certificate program, ESL + certificate program, and non-matriculating graduate and undergraduate degree program students are automatically enrolled in Student Health Services and the student health insurance plan provided for The New School by Aetna Student Health. The insurance premium and Health Services Fee are charged at registration.

    All students can waive their New School insurance coverage if they have equivalent medical insurance by submitting the Online Waiver Form by September 9, 2018 (for new students starting fall 2018). The online waiver for New School Student Health Services and Insurance for the fall 2018 semester will be activated on the University Health Plans website, universityhealthplans.com (select "The New School").

    Undergraduate students registered for five (5) or fewer credits and all graduate students (except those at Parsons Paris) can also waive the Health Services Fee by submitting the Online Waiver Form. Students who participate in the student health insurance plan will be required to participate in Student Health Services.

    Undergraduate students registered for six (6) or more credits are required to remain enrolled in Student Health Services and are not eligible to waive the Health Services Fee.

    Please note: The health insurance Online Waiver Form must be submitted at the beginning of each academic year, or by the spring waiver deadline if you are not registered in the fall semester.

    For more information, email shs@newschool.edu or visit Student Health Services.

    Registration, Transfer Credit, and Advanced Standing

    Registration begins on June 4 for most programs. You will receive an email at your New School address with information about advising and registration from your program or your advisor.

    The New School will evaluate examination credit and work completed at accredited universities to be applied toward our undergraduate degree programs. Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, A Levels, and other leaving exams can be reviewed for potential transfer credit upon receipt of official transcripts. The policy for students entering Eugene Lang College can be found here. Parsons and College of Performing Arts students will work with their advisors to apply similar credits toward their degree programs.

    The New School's Mobile App

    Stay tuned for details of the New School mobile app! With the app, you can access your course schedule, check your final grades, get important numbers and contact information, view a detailed campus map, and connect with us on social media — all while you're on the go.

    Updated Mailing Address

    Keep your mailing address up-to-date at MyNewSchool. All official university mailings will be sent to this address.