• Working Under F-1 Status

    You are not permitted to accept unauthorized employment. See below for the types of employment allowed for those holding F–1 student status.

    On-Campus Employment

    Students are allowed to work on campus as soon as they arrive in the United States in F–1 Student status to attend The New School. On-campus employment does not require written permission. On-campus work must be limited to 20 hours per week while classes are in session but can be full-time during official breaks and vacations.

    The Student Employment Office can let you know what jobs are available. Go to the Student Employment Office, 72 Fifth Avenue, lower lobby, to apply, or visit the New School careers website. Note: Student worker positions designated as work study are a form of federal financial aid and are thus open only to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

    Again, in all cases except for on-campus employment, be sure to obtain written authorization from the Department of Homeland Security or International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) first.

    Off-Campus Employment

    Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

    CPT is off-campus work in your field of study that is considered "an integral part of an established curriculum." A request for authorization for curricular practical training must be made to an ISSS advisor. The objective of CPT is academic development, not employment, and students must register for internship credit.

    International students enrolled in programs of study in the Schools of Public Engagement and The New School for Social Research must complete a CPT form from ISSS. International students enrolled in programs of study in Parsons School of Design, Performing Arts, and Lang must complete an Experience Learning Agreement.

    Optional Practical Training (OPT)

    This type of employment must also be directly related to the student's field of study but is limited to a maximum of 12 full months for each higher degree. Students generally accept this type of employment after completing their programs of study, but some also engage in OPT before completing their program. In either situation, OPT is limited to a maximum of 12 months.

    View the Optional Practical Training timeline.


    One pathway to employment for OPT and beyond might be to start your own business. ISSS has partnered with the Center for Student Success – Career Services to provide you with resources and information on how to set up a business. For more details, view the Interpreneurship information on the Career Services website.

    International Organization Employment

    F-1 students may be eligible to work or intern for a recognized international organization. Students must obtain authorization from ISSS and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before working at an international organization.