• Curricular Practical Training Information Sheet

    Who is eligible?
    You must:

    • Be a full-time degree level student (Associates, Bachelors, Masters, PhD, and eligible certificate programs).
    • Have been lawfully enrolled as a full-time student for at least one full academic year.
    • Have maintained lawful F-1 status.
    • Register for internship credit after speaking with your academic advisor.

    Do I need to identify an internship site before I can apply for CPT?
    Yes. However, you may not start the internship until you have received the written authorization on your I-20 from your international student advisor.

    How many hours a week may I work on the authorized CPT?
    Students can work for a MAXIMUM of 20 hours a week while school is in session and up to 40 hours per week during the semester breaks; however, students must apply for a separate authorization to work full-time during the breaks. For more information, please consult with an international student advisor. Please note that if you work 12 months or more of full-time CPT you will forfeit all post-completion OPT. You must check with your department advisor about the number of hours you may work as well.

    Is there a limit on how much I can be paid?
    There is no limit on the hourly wage you may be paid.

    When can I work?
    You may start your job/internship only AFTER CPT has been approved by the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office. The approval process takes approximately 2-3 business days after ISSS receives all documents; do not expect to start your job until you have picked up your updated I-20 from ISSS.

    Can I change jobs after I’ve been approved for CPT?
    No. You may NOT work for a different company without filing and obtaining a new CPT authorization. Speak to an ISSS advisor to get more information.

    Can I work at more than one job on CPT at the same time?
    Some students may want to do a combination of two jobs during the same semester. This can be done providing the total hours do not exceed 20 hours a week. Students must follow the same instructions and obtain an authorization for each job.

    To apply for CPT, submit the following to ISSS:

    • ISSS Service Request Form
    • CPT Form (PDF) signed by the employer and your department chair or Experience Learning Agreement for Parsons students
    • Proof of registration in an internship or practical training course (Milano master's students are exempt)
    • Allow two to three days for processing by ISSS. You cannot start work until your I-20 has been endorsed and CPT has been approved.

    Curricular Practical Training must be authorized by an ISSS Advisor and must be indicated on the I-20 before you may start work. CPT may be authorized on a part-time basis during the school year or full-time basis during the winter or summer. Please note that if you work 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you will forfeit all post-completion OPT. You must be registered as a full-time student at all times.