Information On The Coronavirus

Recent Updates: The New School has released its academic plan for 2020-21 and a phased reopening plan for its New York campus. Please check the Parsons Paris website for information about our Paris campus. Learn more.

  • Qualified Transportation Expense Plan

    The university offers a Qualified Transportation Expense (QTE) Plan, administered by EBPA. The QTE Plan enables you to reduce your taxable income by setting aside pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible commuting expenses. You can enroll in the plan or make changes to your account through MyDay by following these instructions. Your enrollment or change will take effect in the pay period following the date you submit the benefit event through MyDay. 

    Once your EBPA account is established, you can access it online at (Go to Sign In; then use The New School as the Employer Name. Then go to Qualified Transportation and register or log in.)  You can also call EBPA at 888.678.3457. You can then view your account contributions, reimbursements, and account balance(s) at any time.

    Types of Accounts

    There are two types of accounts, mass transit accounts and parking accounts. Review the Qualified Transportation Expense Plan Summary for more information.

    Mass Transit Account

    Eligible expenses include commuting expenses incurred for travel to and from work by subway, train, bus, ferry, or van pool. Taxicab expenses are not eligible.

    Parking Account

    Eligible expenses include parking expenses incurred at a parking facility near your workplace or at a parking location from which you commute to work by mass transit or carpool.

    How the QTE Account Works

    You set aside money from each paycheck to be directed to a Mass Transit Account and/or Parking Account. The amount you contribute depends on the cost of your commute. The money set aside is deducted from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis. Funds become available for use as you make paycheck contributions. Once enrolled, you receive a benefits card with a MasterCard logo from EBPA, which you can use to pay for eligible mass transit and/or parking expenses at the point of purchase. In order to make a purchase using your card, you must have enough funds available in your account to cover the expense.

    If you choose to contribute to a Mass Transit or Parking Account, monthly minimum and maximum elections apply, as follows:

    Account Type Minimum Maximum
    Mass Transit Account $25 $270
    Parking Account $25 $270

    In addition to making the pre-tax contribution to the Mass Transit and Parking accounts, you can elect to make post-tax contributions if your expenses exceed the maximum pre-tax allowable election. That way, your entire monthly commuting expense can be paid for using your benefits card. Funds in your account(s) not used at the end of the calendar year will be carried over to the next calendar year.

    Requesting a Reimbursement

    If you pay for QTE-eligible expenses out of pocket instead of using your benefits card, you should print and complete a QTE Reimbursement Claim Form in the Benefits Forms and Documents section. You can submit your completed Reimbursement Claim Form and receipts electronically through EBPA's secure document submission portal, (select "Reimbursement Accounts"). You can also return your completed form and receipts to the mailing address or fax number indicated on the form.

    You have until March 31 of the following calendar year to request reimbursement.

    If you leave The New School, your participation in the QTE Plan ends on your employment termination date. You will not be able to use your benefits card to pay for expenses after that date.

    To obtain forms and documents related to the QTE Plan, go to the Benefits Forms and Documents section.