Gender inclusive housing is a housing option at The New School that enables two or more students to share a multiple-occupancy bedroom or suite, by mutual agreement, regardless of gender. Gender inclusive housing aligns with the university's non-discrimination policy and represents a full commitment to the principles of social justice with respect to sexual orientation, gender, and gender identity. Gender inclusive housing provides housing options for students who identify as transgender, are questioning their gender identity, or do not subscribe to gender classifications.
Gender inclusive housing applies to multiple-occupancy rooms on self-selected mixed-gender floors across campus and is available on multiple floors and in multiple buildings. Bathrooms are designated as inclusive in gender inclusive suites.
Suites and rooms are considered gender inclusive when they are inhabited by students of any gender who agree to live together during room selection or select the gender inclusive option on their housing application. If a vacancy occurs in a room in a gender inclusive suite, the remaining occupants may choose a student to fill the space, or the Housing and Residential Education office will assign a student to that space. If a room or suite is selected during room selection as a single-gender space, the gender of the space will be maintained and the unit will not be treated as a gender inclusive space unless all students in the space agree to make this change.
Gender Inclusive Housing Plan
Students who prefer to live in a gender inclusive space may apply for housing and select this as their first option. Room assignments for students who select this as one of their housing choices are made with this as a priority, along with their identified gender. The following are general guidelines that will be followed:
- Students must be eligible for university housing.
- Assignments will be made with a priority focus on placing students who select gender inclusive spaces.
- If a vacancy exists in a gender inclusive room, the following steps will be taken to fill the empty bed:
- The Housing Office will allow the remaining residents to identify a new roommate to fill the vacancy and will define the time allocated to find a new roommate. This window of time will vary depending on time of year and the status of the housing waitlist.
- If the current residents are unable to find a student to fill the space, the Housing and Residential Education office will assign the open bed to another eligible student who has requested gender inclusive housing.
If Housing and Residential Education fills the space, it will be filled by someone who chooses gender inclusive housing.