Recent Updates: The New School has plans to re-open its New York City campus for in-person teaching and learning in fall 2021. Please check the Parsons Paris website for information about our Paris campus. Learn more.

  • Students sometimes face financial difficulties during their college career that may affect not only their academic life but also their ability to meet their basic needs. The university and the New York City community offer a number of resources to help students address these challenges. For a list of campus and city resources, visit the Financial Support page of our Student Resource Hub.

    On Campus

    The New School offers resources and services for students facing financial issues.

    Fall 2020-Spring 2021 Student Emergency Fund

    The Student Emergency Fund combines Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act Funding, Carroll and Milton Petrie Foundation funding, and Student Senate funding totaling over $300,000. By pooling these resources together, we can ensure greater equity in the distribution of funds to serve those with urgent financial needs and streamline the application process. 

    Spring 2020 Student Emergency Fund

    In Spring 2020, The New School received $2.498 million in the CARES Act for student aid, and an equal amount in the CARES Act for institutional aid, for a total of $4.996 million. The university provided the required certification to the Department of Education acknowledging that it intends to use no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students. 6,304 of New School students were eligible for CARES Act awards according to federal guidelines, and as of October 10, 2020, 1,611 students have received an emergency financial aid grant from CARES Act funds, totaling $2.334 million in CARES Act funding distributed.

    Eligible New School students were awarded grants according to self-identified need up to the maximum amount of $2,000 per student. The funds provided assistance to students facing unanticipated financial challenges related to housing, food, health care, course material, technology, and/or child care expenses. 

    To reinforce The New School’s commitment to all students, the university allocated $1 million in university funds to support students who did not meet federal criteria for CARES Act funds. These awards were capped at $750 per student to serve the greatest number of students possible.

    Institutional Emergency Fund

    As of March 31, 2021 (as reported by April 10, 2021) The New School has received $4,996,686 for student funds and allocated $2,506,403 for emergency financial aid grants to students. In addition, The New School has received $7,998,165 for institutional funds. $2,498,343 has been allocated for reimbursements, tuition, housing, room and board, and other fee refunds. Review the Quarterly Budget and Expenditure Report.


  • FAQ

    Please review our FAQ for answers to your most common questions. 

  • Financial Aid

    72 Fifth Avenue, 2nd floor
    Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m.-4:45 p.m.

    Financial Aid can help you manage your education costs. The office welcomes student and family inquiries about:

    • Financial aid eligibility and financing options
    • The cost of living in New York City
    • Managing personal finances

    Student Accounts

    72 Fifth Avenue, 2nd floor
    Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m.-4:45 p.m. 

    Student Accounts can assist you with:

    • Billing questions
    • Payment options 
    • Setting up a payment plan

    Emergency Food, Pharmacy, and Transportation Cards

    Student Health Services and Student Support and Crisis Management offer temporary emergency support cards for students who have an immediate and urgent need. An immediate and urgent need is defined as no access to food, no access to money, no Metrocard to attend class, no money to buy a needed prescription, or resources for food and transportation expiring in less than two days.

    Students who do not have an immediate and urgent need (e.g., those who can wait at least 48 hours) and who are Petrie Fund eligible should avail themselves of that fund first. It is expected that students will work with Student Support staff or outside resources to take steps toward long-term stability.

    Off Campus

    The city, state, and federal governments also offer a variety of benefits for which you may be eligible. Use the following resources to access these benefits.

    Access NYC Benefits Finder

    ACCESS NYC is a free service that helps you find out if you qualify for more than 30 city, state, and federal benefit programs, such as Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits, or help with utility bills. You can use this service anonymously, or you can create an account.

    Temporary Assistance and Safety Net (funded by the State of New York)

    The New York State Office of Temporary and Disability Services offers temporary help for needy men, women, and children. If you are unable to work, you can't find a job, or your job does not pay enough, TA may be able to help you pay for your expenses.

    Office of Victim Services

    The New York State Office of Victim Services provides compensation to innocent victims of crime for their out-of-pocket losses associated with crime. The website also provides information about local crime victim resources and services.

  • Emergency Contacts

    NYC Police and EMS
    Call 911
    Campus Security

    Counseling Services

    212.229.1671 option 1
    (Nurse Response will answer the phone after hours) 

  • Contact Us

    Student Emergency Fund

    Student Support
    72 Fifth Avenue, 4th floor
    New York, NY 10011

    212.229.5900 x3701

    Office Hours
    Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.

  • Related Links

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.