Beau Bree Rhee is an artist, choreographer and part-time professor at Parsons School of Design.
She exhibits, presents and performs her work internationally - recently at the KW Institute for Contemporary Art/Berlin Biennale; The Kitchen NY; Bard Graduate Center Gallery NY; Kaaitheater Bruxelles; Baryshnikov Arts Center NY; MoMA/PS1 NY; among others. She also guest lectures as a visiting artist, at venues such as the Strand Bookstore (Fulbright Scholars/Think Olio series), ICP/Bard MFA program, and the Swiss MFA Symposium for the Arts. Her work is held in several private collections as well as in the MoMA Library & Research Collection.
Rhee's work primarily explores the body as a cosmic form and being. Drawing and choreography are her main media, while she also creates metal sculptures, installations, olfactive and textile work (usually to support performative work). Her practice creates relationships between body-space, the senses & biology/ecosystem. Her studio, Atelier de Geste, is based in New York City.
• M.F.A., Haute école d’art et de design de Genève (HEAD - University of Art & Design Geneva) Contemporary Artistic Practices 2012
• B.A. Columbia University, Barnard College, cum laude & with distinction receiving a double major in Art History & Dance, 2007
• LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design)
• STRANGE ATTRACTORS, Berlin, Berlin Biennale for Contemporary Art/KUNST-WERKE BERLIN, 2018 (edited by Nomaduma Rosa Masilela, contribution by Beau Rhee with Christophe Kihm & Dr. Myungchull Rhee)
• Perhaps It Is High TIme For A Xeno-Architecture To Match, Berlin, Sternberg Press, 2018 (edited by Armen Avanessian, Lietje Bauwens, Wouter de Raeve, Alice Haddad, Markus Miessen)
• Perfumes: The Guide 2018, Tallin, Perfüümista, 2018 (edited by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez)
• Harlem: Mart 125 Yale School of Architecture, 2018 (edited by Nina Rappaport, Jenny Kim, and Beau Rhee)
• THE ARCHIVE AS A PRODUCTIVE SPACE OF CONFLICT, Berlin, Sternberg Press, 2016 (edited by Markus Miessen and Yann Chateigné, essay by Beau Rhee, Ephemerality and the Archive)
• Movement, Gesture, Body-Space, Body, Choreography, Trace, Performance
• Drawing, Color, Graphic Design, Communication Design
• Materiality, Ecology/Ecosystem, Sustainability, Environment & Design,
• Haptic Design, Olfaction & Scent
• Art & Olfaction Awards Finalist, 2014 & 2017
Integrative Studio 1
Integrative Studio 2