• J-1 Professors and Scholars

    The United States welcomes international students and exchange visitors who come to study in our country. While you're enjoying your time in the U.S., it is very important that you understand and comply with the requirements governing your stay to ensure that you don't jeopardize your immigration status.

  • J–1 Professors and Scholars: Responsibilities

    Check In

    You must provide your Responsible Officer with your contact information in the U.S. (your address, telephone, etc.). When you check in, your Responsible Officer will collect some information that will help us provide better advice and services to you while you are in J-1 status. ISSS will also review your immigration documents for any mistakes that might have been made when these were processed at the port of entry. You should check in with ISSS again anytime your contact information changes or you re-enter the U.S. Report changes of address within 10 days of each move to your Responsible Officer.

    Attend Orientation

    • Learn the names of your Responsible Officers.
    • Learn about your rights and responsibilities while in J-1 Exchange Visitor status.
    • At orientation, you will also get other information you need to make the most of your exchange visit.

    Stay informed on Department of State (DOS) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Regulations

    After attending orientation, not only must you follow U.S. regulations, but you also must keep yourself informed of any changes to the regulations. By checking in with ISSS, you enable us to keep you informed about any important changes.

    J–1 Professors and Scholars: Health Insurance

    U.S. government regulations set minimum requirements for health insurance for J-1 professors and scholars. The New School's employee health insurance plan does NOT meet these minimum requirements. As an employee, you are not eligible to enroll in the New School student health plan. Contact International Student and Scholar Services for information about private health insurance companies that will provide full insurance or supplemental insurance plans that meet the minimum requirements.

    Get a Travel Signature Before Re-entering the U.S.

    If you plan to leave and re-enter the U.S. during your exchange visit, your Responsible Officer must sign your DS-2019. A travel signature is valid for one academic year or nine months. You must also have a valid passport and J-1 visa to re-enter the U.S. If your visa has expired or will expire before your planned date of return, you must get a new one while outside of the U.S. When preparing to leave, take your valid passport with the I-94 card (you will return this just before exiting the U.S., at the airport if you are flying out), as well as your DS-2019 and any other supporting documents. Never Accept Unauthorized Employment in the U.S.

    See below for the types of employment that are possible while in J–1 Exchange Visitor status in the Professor, Scholar, or Short-Term Scholar category. Always remember that you cannot work—not even on campus; you cannot even accept an honorarium for a one-hour lecture—without advance written authorization from your Responsible Officer.

    In all types of employment (except employment of J-2 dependent), you must submit:

    • A letter from your prospective employer describing the work to be done, the hours you will work, and the amount of compensation you will receive
    • The written recommendation of your academic advisor
    • Approval is limited to a specific job with a specific employer. If you wish to change jobs or employers, the application process for work authorization must be completed again.

    Once you have submitted all three items, you will obtain work authorization,

    In all cases, you may not begin working until you receive your authorization letter from your Responsible Officer. You will also need a Social Security Number (ask ISSS for more information). Furthermore, you will need to keep your Responsible Officer informed of all changes in your job, job description, pay, location, and phone number.

    Employment of J-2 Dependent

    Upon entry to the U.S., a J-2 dependent (spouse of any age or child under 21 years of age) may apply to the U.S. government for employment authorization. To qualify, you must express in writing that:

    • You possess sufficient funds to cover your own living costs as the J-1 Exchange Visitor;
    • The purpose for seeking employment authorization for the J-2 dependent is not to financially support the J-1 Exchange Visitor;
    • The employment is to further cultural and educational exchange and for the enrichment of the J-2 dependent.

    J–1 Professors and Scholars: Ending J–1 Status

    Please notify ISSS immediately if:

    • There is a change of program or a new end date that is not reflected on your DS-2019
    • You must depart the U.S. within 30 days of the end date of your J-1 program as indicated on the DS-2019

    Comply with the Two-Year Home Residency Requirement

    Also known as "212(e)," this requires some individuals who enter the U.S. to return to their home countries for at least two years before they can qualify for the following types of visas: H, L, or any immigrant visa. However, even with 212(e) in effect, an individual may still apply for B Tourist and Business Visitor visas, F Student visas, and J Exchange Visitor visas. The two-year home residency requirement will be noted on the bottom left-hand corner of the Exchange Visitor's DS-2019 upon entry to the U.S. All Exchange Visitors who are sponsored by their home government or the U.S. government and those who have skills that are listed as highly valued in their home country are subject to this requirement.

    J–1 Professors and Scholars Employment Rights

    You may seek employment within the three specified types of employment permitted to J–1 Professors, Scholars, and Short-Term Scholars, or the one type available to J-2 dependent(s). However, J-1 employment authorization is at the discretion of your Responsible Officer. If your Responsible Officer is not an employee of The New School, you will need to learn your sponsoring organization's policies regarding work authorization before seeking permitted employment.

    J-1 Compliance Unit and Email Address

    Mailing Address
    U.S. Department of State
    Office of Designation
    Compliance Unit
    ECA/EC/ECC - SA-5, Floor C2
    2200 C Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20522-0505

    Street Address for Courier Deliveries
    U.S. Department of State
    Office of Designation
    Compliance Unit
    ECA/EC/ECC - SA-5, Floor C2
    2200 C Street, NW
    Washington, DC 20037
    Fax: 202.632.2900
    Website: http://j1visa.state.gov/
    Email:  jvisas@state.gov

    Changing Your Employment or Research Assignment

    If you wish to change your teaching position or research assignment, you must inform ISSS before the change is made. Depending on the changes, you may need a new DS–2019.

    Please follow the steps outlined below:

    Extend Your Program or Renewal

    Look carefully at item #3 on your DS–2019. This is the date you are expected to complete your Exchange Visit.

    If, during the course of your academic work at The New School, you find that you will not finish by the completion date on your DS–2019, you must request a program extension 30 days before the completion date.

    You will need to submit:

    Needing Reinstatement

    Please come speak with an ISSS advisor if you feel you have violated your immigration status. In some instances, the Responsible Officer may be able to resolve your violation on-site and correct some technical infractions with your record. In other instances, it may require the U.S. government to adjudicate your status violation and therefore reinstatement would be necessary. We will be glad to discuss this with you in great detail when you visit ISSS.

    Working Under J-1 Status

    Employment authorization for J-1 Professors and Scholars depends very much on your I-94 status while in the U.S. As a J-1 Professor or Scholar, you may work only as described on your DS-2019 and only at a site of activity listed in your SEVIS record. For all other employment, you must obtain a formal written letter of authorization from your Responsible Officer before you can start working.

    Your Responsible Officer may be on campus at ISSS or may be a representative of another sponsoring organization.

    Employment Authorization

    Regardless of who your Responsible Officer is, you should follow the procedure detailed below to get prior written employment authorization.

    The prospective employer must issue a formal job offer letter to you with the following information:

    • Name of supervisor
    • Supervisor contact info (address, phone, fax, and email)
    • Job title
    • Job description
    • Description of training (must be integral to field of study)
    • Job site address
    • Start date
    • End date
    • Number of hours to be working
    • Pay or full honorarium amount

    You must submit a copy of the above letter to your department:

    • Your department must issue a formal letter to the Responsible Officer explaining that the proposed employment.
    • Make sure it does not conflict with the Exchange Visitor's responsibilities to the department and will in no way cause the Exchange Visitor to be delayed in fulfilling his/her duties to the department.
    • Make sure it is consistent with the purposes of the exchange visit. The letter must list the skills related to the field of study that will be learned during this training.
    • If department and employer are one and the same, a single letter combining all these details is acceptable.
    • Upon receipt of both letters above, the Responsible Officer will issue to the prospective employee a formal letter authorizing employment, including occasional lectures, and, if necessary, update SEVIS to indicate a new site of activity. 
    • Only after the authorizing letter from the Responsible Officer is submitted to the prospective employer may you actually begin working.
    • J-1 Professors and Scholars may be employed by one or more employers but each instance of employment, whether paid or unpaid, must be authorized prior to the start of the employment.

    Only after the authorizing letter from the Responsible Officer is submitted to the prospective employer may you actually begin working.

    Important Note

    • The procedure described above is for J-1 Professors and Scholars only.
    • The rules differ for professors and scholars in other immigration statuses.
    • The rules also differ slightly for J-1 students.