• In New York State, the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) administers two state-funded financial aid programs for undergraduate students, the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and the Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS) program. You must meet certain state-regulated requirements to qualify for New York State aid.

    You must have been a New York State resident for 12 consecutive months before you enrolled in the program for which you are seeking a New York State grant. Living in New York State for the sole purpose of attending college does not constitute residency for the purposes of state financial aid requirements.

    You must meet HESC's Ability to Benefit requirement  in order to receive New York State financial aid. You can establish Ability to Benefit by graduating from high school or receiving a GED in the United States. If you do not meet this criterion, you may be able to establish Ability to Benefit by demonstrating that you have completed 24 Core College Credits, as defined by HESC, or by passing the HESC Ability to Benefit Test. For more information, please contact HESC.

    You can find out whether you are required to submit proof of New York State residency or Ability to Benefit by logging in to MyNewSchool using your New School Net ID and password.

      1. Select Access Your Financial Aid Information.
      2. Select Financial Aid File Status, Requirements, Holds, and Cost of Attendance.
      3. Select Student Requirements and view both Satisfied and Outstanding requirements.

    New York State Grant Programs

    The Tuition Assistance Program is New York's largest grant program. It helps eligible New York State residents pay for tuition at in-state postsecondary institutions. Students' eligibility and the amount awarded by TAP are based on students' New York State taxable income and that of their families. Students must be enrolled full-time (12 credits or more) to be eligible.

    The Aid for Part-Time Study program provides tuition assistance for undergraduates studying part-time (3 to 11 credits) at in-state postsecondary institutions. Eligibility is based on student and family income.

  • Contact Us

    Office of Financial Aid
    72 Fifth Avenue, 2nd floor
    New York, NY 10011
    [email protected]

    Virtual Office Hours (Zoom)
    Monday–Thursday, 10:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m.

    In-Person Office Hours
    Tuesday–Thursday, 10:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m.

    To schedule time with a staff member, visit QLess or text "The New School NY" to 646.328.6322. 

  • Related Links

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our undergraduate programs (except the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs) complete and submit the Common App online.

Undergraduate Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students and Parsons Associate of Applied Science programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.


To apply to any of our Master's, Doctoral, Professional Studies Diploma, and Graduate Certificate programs, complete and submit the New School Online Application.