How to Apply
Please read the Application Instructions and Important Dates carefully before starting your application. Here is an outline of the admission requirements:
- Application form
- Personal statement of intent
- Two letters of recommendation*
- $100 nonrefundable application fee
- High school transcript
(Note: Transfer students must submit a high school transcript unless they have earned 24 or more university credits at the time they apply.)
- College transcripts from every institution attended
- Prescreening: Piano, Voice, Guitar, and Drum applicants must submit a
recording for prescreening in order to be considered for an audition.
- Live audition: Applicants invited to audition will receive an email with a link for self-scheduling. In order for you to be invited to audition, your application must be complete and your prescreening, if required, must pass review.
- Recorded audition: If you cannot come to New York to audition and are submitting a recording, you must upload your recorded audition online through the Admission website.
Mailing Application Materials
*Official transcripts must be mailed; letters of recommendation and prescreening recordings can also be mailed.
A Materials Cover Sheet (PDF) must accompany all materials mailed by an applicant. Mail to
Office of Admission
The New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music
72 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10011
Contact the Office of Admission if you have questions about the application process:
212.229.5150 or 800.292.3040