The Photography minor is offered through Parsons School of Design.
In this minor, students are introduced to a broad range of photographic processes, technologies, and conceptual practices while working within the rich intersections between photography, film, video, design, visual art, and sound. After acquiring analog
and digital core skills, students are encouraged to pursue a specific concentration, gaining deeper knowledge in specific areas of interest (including social engagement, fashion culture, creative industry, and contemporary art).
The Photography minor requires successful completion of 18 credits across six subject areas, as outlined in the chart below.
Course availability may vary from semester to semester. Some courses may be in development and offered at a later time. Students seeking to pursue alternative coursework to fulfill the minor should consult with their advisors.
*PSAM 1050 is required for all students intending to complete this minor and should be taken before other minor coursework.
A student who has completed this minor should be able to demonstrate:
- Strength in photographic technical practices connected with film, digital media, and visual art
- Strength in the visual, technical, conceptual and professional vocabulary used in the photographic area of interest
- Competence in integrating commercial and visual art and critical practices as adaptable knowledge creatively and professionally, demonstrating a breadth of knowledge, technical ability, and cultural awareness
- Competence in using images in a socially and politically expedient manner and ability to conduct critical analysis of image culture as it relates to social responsibility
- An understanding of photographic tools in making visual work within a larger context of visual culture and technology, possibly including activism, image culture, and anthropology
- An understanding of the photographic canon(s) and primary texts
The Photography minor is available to all undergraduate students at The New School.
For questions regarding this minor's curriculum, including requests for course substitutions, please contact Sarah Palmer, assistant professor, at [email protected].
How to Declare or Change a Minor
General guidelines for declaring a minor are available here. Current students can declare or change a minor by logging in to my.newschool.edu, clicking on the Academics tab,
and then clicking on the link to Major/Minor Declarations.