• Accepted Students: What's Next?

    Congratulations! You're about to embark on one of the most exciting experiences of your life. We want you to be fully prepared, so please review the following information.

    Obtain a Passport
    You must have a passport that does not expire for at least six months following your anticipated date of return to the United States. If you need to get a passport, follow these instructions on the U.S. Department of State's website. Passport photos can be taken at any local photo shop or pharmacy.

    If you are applying for a passport for the first time, you will need to apply in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility. Apply as soon as possible, as it can take several weeks or months before your passport is delivered.

    Check Visa Requirements
    Some countries require you to obtain a visa before entering the country. You can use this search tool on the U.S. Department of State website to determine visa requirements for your host country.

    If you're studying abroad at Parsons Paris, helpful visa guidance will be provided in your pre-departure information.

    Understand Your Health Requirements/Fees

    You will be charged The New School’s Health Insurance Fee and Health Services Fee while you are studying abroad. If you have comparable health insurance coverage, you may be eligible to waive the Health Insurance Fee by submitting an Online Waiver Form before the waiver deadline. Please note that if the student health insurance plan was used at any time during the school year, you will be required to remain enrolled for the full policy year. Students who use the plan in the fall cannot waive it in the spring, regardless of where they are studying. Undergraduate students who are studying abroad (except those studying at Parsons Paris) are eligible to waive the Health Services Fee if they have also waived the Health Insurance Fee. The Health Insurance Fee must be waived online at universityhealthplans.com (click on “The New School” link). The Health Services Fee can be waived by submitting the 2017-2018 Study Abroad Student Health Services Fee Waiver Form. For more information about the health fees and the online waiver process and deadline, please visit the Student Health Services website.

    Secure Your Housing
    Most study abroad programs provide information about housing during the application process. Follow the instructions in your application materials to reserve your housing. You can also email a global opportunities staff member at your host institution for more information.

    Students who are studying abroad at Parsons Paris can apply for student housing in Paris via my.newschool.edu and can find more information on the Parsons Paris housing page.

    Make Your Travel Arrangements
    Read the information provided in your acceptance or pre-departure documents to determine when you need to arrive in your host location and when you will return; plan on remaining there until the term is finished, including any final exams. Student travel websites, like statravel.com and studentuniverse.com, may provide cheaper flight options for students. STA Travel also allows students to place a deposit on a flight and pay it off over time without accruing interest. Contact STA Travel for more information.

    International Students: Update Your I-20
    International students who study abroad are required to have study abroad remarks on their I-20. It is strongly recommended that you update your I-20 before departing from the United States. You must provide a copy of your study abroad acceptance letter to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) and submit a service request via iGlobal. International students are permitted to be out of the country for more than five months as long as their I-20 has study/research abroad remarks. When returning to the United States, you'll need a valid travel signature, visa, and passport.

    You must submit a service request via iGlobal to obtain study abroad remarks on your I-20. Please follow these steps below:

    Register for Classes
    As soon as you are accepted to study abroad, please forward a copy of your acceptance letter to the study abroad coordinator in your school or college or to studyabroad@newschool.edu. This will initiate your registration in mobility credits, which are placeholder credits that maintain your status here at The New School while you are taking classes elsewhere. You'll register for classes at your host institution by following the instructions provided by the school or by your third-party provider.

    If you are studying abroad at Parsons Paris, you do not need to enroll in mobility credits; you will register for classes online via my.newschool.edu during the registration period as usual.

    Keep in mind that you will register for classes at The New School for the following semester while you're abroad. Read your email for important information about registration dates, and remember to convert the time you're able to begin registering to your local time. Contact your advisor at The New School with any questions about registering for the upcoming semester.