We continue to monitor and respond to the public health situation regarding COVID-19. Most buildings on our New York campus have closed until further notice. Check the Parsons Paris website for information about our Paris campus.
Learn More

  • Transfer Credit

    A degree from The New School is much more than a list of courses. Most students will either enter with some credit for test scores or prior college course work or will complete coursework at another college or university during their time at The New School. External coursework may be considered for transfer credit if all of the following criteria for assessment are met:

    • Courses were taken at an institution of higher education recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or at an officially recognized institution in a foreign country.
    • Coursework was relevant to the curricula offered by The New School.
    • A grade of "C" or higher was earned for each course.
    • The course work was not remedial, pre-college or duplicative.
    • Courses titles, credits, final grades, and explanation of term durations are clearly defined.
    • The credits were used towards a degree requirement at the university or college offering the courses.
    • Transcripts were submitted before the transfer credit deadline. See the Deadlines section for more information.
    • Examinations taken prior to college were sent directly from the examination board and meet minimum score requirements. See the Pre-Matriculation Transfer Credit section for more details.

    International Transfer Credit

    Students requesting transfer credits for courses taken at an international institution must provide an official transcript and a full course-by-course evaluation from a NACES approved provider unless:

    • The international institution has an articulation or exchange agreement with The New School.
    • The international institution formally adheres to the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
    • A Canadian institution is a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.
    • A School of Record (SOR) from an accredited U.S. institution is provided with courses taken abroad.

    The institution reserves the right to request a course-by-course evaluation at any time.

    The most popular evaluation services used by students at The New School are:

    Pre-Matriculation Test Credit

    The New School grants Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, A-Level, and French Baccalaureate credit according to the score requirements found in the Academic Catalog.

    Students seeking pre-matriculation test credit must have their official scores forwarded by the examining body that administered the exam. We regret that we cannot accept score reports from the student or high school.

    Students may earn transfer credit by examination according to the following criteria:

    • AP examination: results with minimum scores of 4 may be awarded up to 4 transfer credits for each subject.
    • IB Diploma: results with minimum scores of 5 for Higher Level (HL) courses may be awarded up to 8 transfer credits for each subject.
    • General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level Exams: results with minimum grade of C or higher may be awarded up to 8 transfer credits for each subject. Cambridge Pre-U Principal Subject results with minimum scores of P1 may be awarded up to 8 transfer credits for each subject.
    • French Baccalaureate: An official evaluation from a NACES approved provider is required for consideration of advanced standing credits. Results with a coefficient of 5 or better and a minimum score of 13 may be awarded up to 8 transfer credits for each subject. Results with a coefficient of 5 or better and a score of 10-13, or subjects with a coefficient of 4 and minimum score of 13 may be awarded up to 4 transfer credits for each subject.

    Military Credit

    The New School will award credit for military education based on the guidelines presented by the American Council on Education (ACE). Students must present a military transcript - AARTS (Army), SMART (Navy and Marine), CCAF (Air Force) or Joint Services Transcript (JST) - for evaluation.


    New Students

    Students applying to The New School must submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges as part of the admissions application process to be considered for transfer credits. Transfer credits earned prior to admission will not be awarded if transcripts are submitted after the conclusion of the first term of matriculation.

    Matriculated Students

    All official transcripts, for courses taken at another institutions while enrolled at The New School, must be received by the end of the subsequent semester from which the course was taken to be considered for transfer credits. For example, if the course was taken in the Fall term, an official transcript (and course-by-course evaluation, if applicable) must be submitted prior to the end of the following Spring term.

    Graduating Students

    All requests for transfer credit and official transcripts should be submitted before the degree conferral date. All requests for transfer credits received after the degree conferral date will be considered for the next degree conferral period. Students will have to reapply to graduate.

    For more information on the Undergraduate Transfer Credit Policy, please visit The University Policies web page.


    When will transfer credits post to my Degree Works?

    New Students

    If all required documents are submitted and received on-time, transfer credits are evaluated and processed before registration for your second semester at The New School begins.

    Continuing Students

    Transfer credits are processed within 2 weeks of receiving your official transcript(s) and/or course-by-course evaluation.

    What is an accredited or a recognized university?

    In the United States an accredited university is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and/or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). You can check to confirm if your institution is recognized as an accredited university by the U.S. Department of Education.

    International college and universities are recognized by their country's Ministry of Education or equivalent body. Each country has a list of schools recognized by the government on their government's website.

    Will the grades from my transfer credit course be calculated in my GPA?

    No, grades do not transfer; only credits are awarded for transfer credit. All credits earned through transfer credit will show a grade of "TR", which does not figure into your grade point average at The New School.

    If I have more questions about transfer credits who should I talk to?

    You should always be in touch with your academic advisor for all inquiries regarding transfer credits.

    Why didn't all of my credits transfer?

    In many cases, courses have not been transferred because your final courses are "in progress" on the original transcript you submitted with your application. Please be sure your previous college sends a final official transcript to The New School with your last semester grades before the deadline.

    If a course taken at another institution does not have a match to an area of study at The New School or The New School does not offer the course for credit, the course is non-transferable (e.g., physical education, remedial/developmental coursework, or technical training).

    Will I be notified when the New School receives my transcript?

    Continuing students and their advisors are immediately notified by email when official transcripts have been received by The Registrar's Office. New students can track their documents through the admissions application portal.

    Do I need to send transcripts from every school or just my last one?

    You will need to send transcripts from every college or university you have attended in the past at the time of the admissions process in order to receive transfer credits. Transcripts submitted after the term of admissions from prior institutions will not be considered for transfer credits.

    Where do I send my transcripts?

    During the Admissions process you should submit all of your college transcripts and/or score reports to the following address:

    The New School
    Office of Admissions
    79 Fifth Avenue, 5th Floor
    New York, N.Y. 10003

    Once you have completed your first term at The New School, you should submit all transcripts to the following address:

    The New School
    Office of the Registrar
    72 Fifth Avenue, 2nd Floor
    New York, N.Y. 10011