• Changing Your Elections

    Qualified Transportation Expense and Tax-Deferred Annuity Plans

    Changes to these plans may be made once a month by completing and submitting a QTE Enrollment/Change Form and/or a Salary Reduction Form (TDA Plan) found in the Benefits Forms and Documents page. Your change will take effect on the first of the month you have indicated at the top of the form or the first of the month following receipt of your completed form if no date is indicated. Forms may be scanned and emailed to, or sent via U.S. Mail or interoffice mail to The Office of Human Resources/Benefits, 79 Fifth Avenue, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10003, or faxed to 212.229.5884. 


    If you and/or your qualified dependent(s) lose eligibility under CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program) or Medicaid or have been determined eligible for state premium assistance under either the CHIP or Medicaid programs, you and your qualified dependents have 60 days from the date coverage ends or the eligibility determination date to end coverage or enroll.

    Health Care, Dental Care and Flexible Spending Accounts

    Generally you may only change your elections for these plans once a year, during the university's annual Open Enrollment period. However you may change your elections during the calendar year if you have a Change in Status as defined by the Internal Revenue Code.

    Change requests must be made no later than 31 days after the date of the status change as described below.

    Types of Status Change

    Marital Status Change

    Marriage, death of spouse, divorce or annulment, legal separation.

    Dependent Status Change

    Birth, adoption or placement for adoption, death of dependent child, newly eligible dependents due to plan design change, dependent no longer eligible according to the terms of the plan, loss of student status, marriage of dependent child.

    Loss of Coverage

    Employee or dependent loses other coverage.

    Employment Status Change of Employee, Spouse, or Dependent Child

    Commencement or termination of employment, commencement or return from an unpaid leave of absence, change in employment classification that affects the individual's eligibility under the plans, and change in worksite.

    Judgments, Decrees and Orders

    You or another individual is required to provide health coverage for your dependent child(ren).


    Establishing a domestic partnership with a state or local municipality, or termination of a domestic partnership or change in residence of the employee, spouse, or dependent child(ren).

    For Dependent Care FSA only

    The provider of the dependent care changes or your cost for dependent care significantly increases or decreases.

    In the case of the birth of a child, the change becomes effective on the child's date of birth.  All other changes become effective the first of the month following the event.

    If You and/or your Dependent(s) Experience a Change in Status

    1. You must complete and submit a Health Care, Dental Care, and/or Flexible Spending Enrollment/Change Form as applicable. Forms are found on benefits forms and documents page.
    2. You must submit documentation supporting the Change in Status, which clearly indicates the date the change is effective, for example, letter from a spouse or domestic partner's employer indicating loss of coverage.
    3. You must submit a copy of supporting dependent documentation (if not already on file with Human Resources), such as a marriage certificate, child's birth certificate, or the Statement of Domestic Partnership (PDF).

    The forms and supporting documents may be scanned and emailed to or faxed to 212.229.5884, or mailed or sent via interoffice mail to The New School, Office of Human Resources/Benefits, 79 Fifth Avenue, 18th Floor, New York NY 10003. Please keep copies for your own records.