• artist life in nyc

  • NYC Skyline at Night
  • Every artist should experience living in New York City at some point in their lives-especially Greenwich Village. It's where artistic visionaries have honed their craft and reshaped art forms. You'll gain inspiration from the revolutionary New School alumni and faculty who have inhabited these streets before you-Jack Kerouac, Bill Evans, James Baldwin, Stella Adler, John Cage, and more.

    With the College of Performing Arts's extensive network reaching throughout New York's artistic community, you'll find countless opportunities to perform with, and be mentored by premiere artists. On any given day, Drama student playwrights might be presenting readings of their works at the Cherry Lane Theatre, while Jazz students are sitting in as house band at a Zinc Bar jam session, and Mannes students are making music at a First Friday at the Frick. The city will become your performance hall, improvisation lab, and cultural playground.

    A community of groundbreakers surrounds you, including the Stone, the landmark nonprofit performance space founded in 2005 by the legendary composer and performer John Zorn. Building upon the past five years of successful educational workshops at The New School, the Stone is now permanently housed in the Glass Box Theater at Arnhold Hall.

    As a Drama, Jazz, or Mannes student, simply walking outside of your dorm or classroom brings you face-to-face with some of the most important and innovative artists. Experience firsthand what it's like to live and work in one of the most vibrant art scenes in the world.

  • Contact Us

    Admission Contact
    College of Performing Arts
    Welcome Center | Office of Admission
    72 Fifth Avenue (map)
    New York, NY 10011
    212.229.5150 or 800.292.3040

  • Related Links

  • Take The Next Step

Submit your application


To apply to any of our Bachelor's programs (Except the Bachelor's Program for Adult Transfer Students) complete and submit the Common App online.

Graduates and Adult Learners

To apply to any of our Master's, Doctural, Professional Studies Diploma, Graduate Certificate, or Associate's programs, or to apply to the Bachelor's Program for Adult and Transfer Students, complete and submit the New School Online Application.