Insurance Waiver and Deadlines
Students who have comparable medical and mental health coverage under another insurance plan can waive participation in Plan 2 by completing an Online Waiver Form. In order to have the Student Health Insurance Fee for Plan 2 removed from your billing statement, your completed Online Waiver Form MUST be submitted by September 24, 2013, for the fall semester or February 24, 2014, for the spring semester.
- Undergraduate students who are registered for six (6) or more credits, including ESL + Design and ESL + Music, are required to pay the Student Health Services Fee regardless of their place of study (online only, study abroad, etc.).
- All graduate and undergraduate students who are registered for fewer than six (6) credits can waive participation in both Plan 1 and Plan 2. However, students who participate in Plan 2 are required to participate in Plan 1.
- Students can waive Plan 2, only, by demonstrating that they already have comparable medical and mental health insurance.
- Students who waived the Health Fee(s) in the fall semester will be automatically waived for the spring semester the day after they register for classes. No action is necessary.
- An Online Waiver Form must be completed every fall semester. New students admitted for the spring semester need to complete this form before the spring deadline and again in the fall for the following academic year.
- Absolutely no Online Waiver Forms will be accepted after the semester deadlines. If you do not submit the Online Waiver Form by the deadline, you are responsible for payment of the Health Fee(s).
- Students who use the insurance at any time are obligated to remain enrolled for the policy year. If an Online Waiver Form is submitted and the insurance has been used, the Health Fee(s) will be added back onto a student’s account immediately.
- Students can complete and submit the 2013-2014 Online Waiver Form by clicking on the link below.
Please note that it is your responsibility to check your student account using MyNewSchool Online Services (click on Student Tab, Electronic Bills in the Student Financial Services box, Current Account Status, Recent Current Activity) approximately two (2) business days after submitting the Online Waiver Form to verify that the appropriate credit appears on your student account.
Student Health Services and Student Health Insurance fees are not applied and/or removed from your student account until one to two days after you have registered for classes.
Late Waivers and Missed Deadlines
The New School sets waiver deadlines in order to comply with its obligations to Aetna Student Health. Therefore, if you do not submit the Online Waiver Form by the appropriate deadline, the Health Fee(s) will remain on your account and you will be responsible for payment of the Fee(s). Absolutely no refunds will be made for Student Health Insurance or Student Health Services after the semester deadline.
If you miss the fall semester waiver deadline, you cannot waive the Health Fee(s) for the fall semester. You can, however, choose to waive the Health Fee(s) for the spring semester at the time you register, provided you meet the following criteria:
- You provide proof of comparable coverage at the time you submit the Online Waiver Form.
- Neither you nor any provider (doctor, lab, pharmacy, etc.) acting on your behalf has submitted any claims under the Student Health Insurance Plan during the fall term of coverage (August 20, 2013–January 14, 2014).
- You submit the Online Waiver Form before the spring waiver deadline.
If you miss the spring waiver deadline, you cannot waive the Health Fee(s) for the spring semester. You can, however, choose to waive the Health Fee(s) for the fall 2014 semester by submitting an Online Waiver Form by the appropriate date.
It is ultimately the student's responsibility to review his or her account to verify that all charges are accurate. The student is responsible for verifying that the charge(s) is removed after an Online Waiver Form has been submitted. Students can monitor their accounts through MyNewSchool Online Services (click on Student Tab, Electronic Bills in the Student Financial Services box, Current Account Status, Recent Current Activity).
What are the important deadlines?
Online waivers for the Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan will be accepted only until the semester deadlines below:
|| September 24, 2013
|| February 24, 2014
Under certain circumstances, students can appeal the waiver deadline. Visit www.universityhealthplans.com (select the "New School" link) or contact University Health Plans at 800.437.6448 for more information. The deadlines to submit a formal appeal are listed below.
|| November 5, 2013
|| April 7, 2014