Emergency Management at The New School
The priorities of The New School’s Emergency Management plan are to:
- Protect and save the lives of all members of the university community;
- Protect and preserve university property;
- Maintain or quickly restore university operations, activities, and services, and
- Provide assistance to the local community.
Depending upon the nature of the situation, immediate and follow-up response will be provided by the Emergency Response Team and/or the Student Services Crisis Response Team.
Communication During an Emergency
When a situation arises that disrupts normal university operations or has the potential to place the New School community at risk, the university will communicate with students, faculty, and staff using New School Alerts, a notification system designed to provide quick and reliable mass communication. The New School Alerts system allows the university to broadcast important messages via cell phones, landlines, and email using contact information provided by students, faculty, and staff.
In addition, information about conditions that cause or may cause a disruption or change in university routine (e.g., weather delays, transit interruptions, or facilities problems) and any resulting directives to students and members of the New School community will be available on the automated 24-hour campus alert phone number (212.229.7008) and, when appropriate, on my.newschool.edu and the homepage (www.newschool.edu). These systems can be updated remotely at any time of day. If phone and Internet service are disrupted, information will be disseminated to all members of the university community (in dorms, classrooms, and administrative buildings) in-person through an organized chain of public announcements. Students, faculty, and staff will be directed to assemble in central locations to receive updates.
Know Where To Go
- Campus Security Office, Arnhold Hall, 55 West 13th Street, Mezzanine
- Student Health Services, Loeb Residence Hall, 135 East 12th Street
- List Courtyard (general assembly point), 66 West 12th Street
- Beth Israel Hospital ER, East 16th Street between First & Second Avenues
- View Campus Map