Musical Theater BFA Application Info | Bachelor's Program

Application Information

  • Applicants for the BFA in Musical Theatre must be graduates of the American Musical and Dramatic Academy (AMDA) Integrated* Program. The New School's Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students will assign 60 transfer credits for the AMDA Integrated Program. Accepted students may be able to transfer an additional 24 credits for courses completed at other colleges or universities.

    *AMDA Studio graduates should apply for admission to The New School's BS in Liberal Arts program.

    Note: It is possible to earn up to 12 undergraduate credits at The New School without applying for formal admission. Go to Continuing Education to see the range of courses available. If a student is subsequently admitted to a degree program, credits earned in continuing education courses at The New School can usually be applied to the degree program.

    Former students seeking readmission must contact the Office of Admission for application instructions.

    Priority Deadlines for Applications

    June 1 for fall term admission
    November 1 for spring term admission
    April 1 for summer term admission

    All application materials must be received in the Office of Admission by the deadline for priority consideration. Late applications may be considered, but financial aid may not be available.

    How to Apply

    Plan ahead to meet your application deadline. It takes time for transcripts and other supporting documents to reach The New School. All applicants are required to use the online application. The application fee and most supporting documents can be submitted online with the application form. A personal interview may be requested after your application documents have been received and reviewed. A complete application to the Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students includes the following items:

    • Application
    • The $50 nonrefundable application fee
    • Official transcripts
    • Two short essays (described in the application form instructions), in which you discuss your personal academic and life goals
    • A current résumé
    • Interview

    Read the detailed application instructions provided with the online application form. You can also download the instructions. Applicants who are applying to enter the Riggio Honors Program: Writing and Democracy must submit a writing portfolio with their other application documents. Follow the link for more information about the Riggio program and the supplemental application materials. Any documents not submitted online can be mailed to the Office of Admission Undergraduate (see address in Contact box) with an Application Materials Cover Sheet.


    All applicants must provide official high school and/or college transcripts. If you are currently in school, submit transcripts for all coursework taken to date. Applicants who have attended multiple high schools may submit only the graduating school’s official transcript as long as courses taken at previous schools are reflected on that transcript.

    Transfer Applicants

    Transfer applicants who have completed fewer than 24 college credits (on a semester system) must submit high school transcript(s) in addition to college transcripts.

    By Mail

    Official transcripts should have an original signature or a raised university seal, and must be in a sealed envelope that has been signed or stamped by the issuing university’s registrar or records office. Applicants can either send official transcripts with an Application Materials Cover Sheet or request that institutions send transcripts directly to The New School at the mailing address for supplemental application materials:

    The New School
    Office of Admission
    Bachelor's Program for Adults and Transfer Students (NS 100)
    79 Fifth Avenue, 5th floor
    New York, NY 10003

    Electronic Transcripts (U.S./Domestic Institutions Only)

    The New School accepts electronic transcripts only from our approved vendors. The New School’s approved vendors in order of preference are

    • Parchment Exchange
    • Naviance by Hobsons
    • SCRIP-SAFE International
    • National Student Clearinghouse

    We do not accept electronic transcripts sent directly by a student or school offices. Note: All international academic credentials must be submitted as indicated in the International Academic Credentials sections below.

    High School Equivalency

    For GED, TASC, and HiSET, send official test score results by postal mail.


    For homeschooling, send an official transcript from your sponsoring high school or state homeschool association. If an official transcript is not available, you are required to submit either GED, TASC, or HiSET test score results by postal mail. Homeschooled applicants must provide the equivalent of a high school transcript, with course or subject titles, duration of study for each title, content of study for each title, and an assessment of performance or “grade.” Preferably, the courses completed at home are part of a curriculum developed and evaluated by a nationally recognized diploma granting organization or agency. If not connected with such an organization, homeschooled applicants must obtain and submit a GED as confirmation that they have completed a generally acceptable secondary school curriculum. If an official transcript from a state homeschool association or sponsoring public high school is not available, homeschooled students must submit an equivalency or GED, TASC, or HiSET exam results. Individual homeschool transcripts with date of completion do not suffice as official proof of graduation.

    International Academic Credentials

    All transcripts not written in English must be accompanied by a certified English language translation.

    International Academic Credentials with Transfer Credits

    Applicants who attended post secondary institutions outside of the U.S. are required to have their transcript(s) evaluated by World Education Services (WES), our preferred provider, or by another member of the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES). A course-by-course evaluation must be prepared for each transcript. In the absence of an evaluation, the Admissions Committee will do their best to render a decision. Please note, in some cases a review cannot be made without an evaluation and a committee decision will be delayed. If using WES, visit for instructions and to begin the application process. The "Required Documents" section will explain what to send. If you request your report online, search for "New School Bachelors" when selecting our institution. WES will send your completed evaluation directly to The New School. If using another NACES provider, follow instructions for that provider. Mailed evaluations and translations should be sent to the mailing address provided for supporting materials. Applicants forwarding these sealed documents should include an Application Materials Cover Sheet.

    Test Scores

    SAT and ACT

    SAT or ACT scores are not required but will be considered by the admission committee if provided. Home school applicants must submit standardized test scores from the either the SAT or ACT. Home school applicants may submit two standardized subject test results in lieu of the SAT.

    Proof of English Language Proficiency

    All applicants whose first language is not English must submit valid TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores. The minimum score required for TOEFL (IB) is 88, for IELTS is 6.5, and for PTE is 59. Our TOEFL institution code is 2572. The TOEFL/IELTS/PTE requirement may be waived for applicants who have earned a 4-year degree from a U.S. College or University, or for citizens of the following countries whose native language is also English: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa, or Common Wealth Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Trinidad and Tobago). Arrange for the testing service to send your test scores directly to The New School using the institution codes listed above. We accept scores taken within the past two years. If your scores are older, you must retake the test. For more information, visit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE.

    Costs and Financial Aid

    Speak to an admission counselor about options for financing your education.

    Visit the Registrar's website for current tuition and fees information and other estimated costs of attendance. All admitted students are automatically considered for available New School scholarships and grants.

    If you are a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen, we encourage you to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which can be found at You do not have to wait for an admission decision to apply for federal aid. The New School's federal school code is 002780.

    Additional Information

    Successful applicants will receive a letter of acceptance with detailed information about financial aid, housing, registration, student visas (for nonresidents of the United States), and other matters.

    All materials submitted as part of your application become the property of The New School and cannot be returned to you or transmitted to a third party.

    A student can apply to only one department or program at The New School in any given term. Applicants who file more than one application in a given semester will be required to withdraw one of the applications, and application fees will not be refunded.

    The New School welcomes applications from homeschooled students. The Admission Committee does not require advanced preparation in every academic area, but applicants should demonstrate substantial work in English, history, social studies, foreign language, mathematics, and science.

    If you are applying for readmission, please complete the Application for Readmission form and follow the submission instructions.

  • The New School has been regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education since 1960. For more information, visit Accreditation and State Regulatory Authorizations. Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West, Philadelphia, PA 19104. 216.284.5000