• Graduation

    The New School confers degrees twice a year, in January and May. To be eligible to graduate you must have completed all of the requirements for your specific degree.

    Graduation Requirements

    Academic Requirements

    All degree requirements, as specified in the academic catalog of your division, must be completed prior to your planned graduation date for your degree to be conferred. Additionally to receive an undergraduate degree, a student must have completed all requirements with a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA. To receive a graduate degree, a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA is required.  Some doctoral programs require a cumulative GPA higher than 3.0.

    Review Your Academic Progress in DegreeWorks

    DegreeWorks is an online tool that shows you which degree requirements you have completed and which remain to be done. You can find the link to DegreeWorks in under the Student tab. To learn more, take the DegreeWorks Tutorial.

    Petitioning to Graduate

    Once you have confirmed that you are on track to complete your degree requirements, go to to submit your graduation petition to the Registrar's Office. The petition must be received by the designated deadline:

    • April 1 for May graduation
    • November 1 for January graduation

    If you miss the deadline, but still plan to graduate, you must submit a paper graduation petition and pay a late fee. Download the Graduation Petition Form (PDF), which includes a statement of the late fees.

    Graduate Degree Completion Term Limits

    Graduate degree requirements must be completed within the specified time limits. Students who do not complete their programs within the time limit will not be permitted to register again unless they have requested and received an extension.

    • Master's degrees: Five years
    • Doctor of Philosophy
      • Milano School: Eight years
      • The New School for Social Research (except Clinical Psychology): Ten years
      • Clinical Psychology: 12 years

    A student seeking an extension of the time limit must file a petition with his or her department chair. The petition must specify the degree requirements completed to date and propose a specific plan for completing the outstanding work. If the petition is granted, the student must complete all requirements by the date approved or be dismissed from the program. If the extension of time is not granted, the student will be dismissed from the program immediately.

    Graduation Honors

    Academic honors are awarded to graduates who meet the following criteria:

    • Bachelor's degree: 3.7 cumulative GPA and completion of at least 60 credits in residence
    • Associate's degree: 3.7 cumulative GPA and completion of at least 34 credits in residence

    Academic honors are noted on diplomas and transcripts. For graduates from Parsons The New School for Design and Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts, departmental honors are also noted on diplomas and transcripts.

    Academic honors are not awarded to recipients of graduate degrees.


    Diplomas are mailed approximately three months after the end of a student's last term after an evaluation of the academic record has determined the student's eligibility to graduate. International students should allow an additional four to six weeks for delivery.

    Keep Your Diploma Mailing Address Up to Date

    If you are planning to graduate, please update it in by the deadline: March 1 for January graduates; July 1 for May graduates.