• Academic Policies

    All students are responsible for knowing and understanding the academic policies of the university and their particular academic program, including deadlines, attendance, curriculum requirements, acceptable grades, and academic honesty.

    Grade Policies

    Find your grades. Track them across semesters as they are posted. Understand and calculate your Grade point average.

    Grades are recorded for all students registered in a course for credit or a noncredit certificate. Click here for access to your grade reports for a term; click here to view your transcript.

    The university does not automatically mail grade reports. If you need an official copy of your grades for the current term, you can file the request form available through

  • How to View Your Grades

    1. Submit your online course evaluation for each course (or opt out) as soon as you receive the email notice requesting your evaluation.
    2. Click here to view your grades. If your grade was posted by the instructor, you should be able to see it within two hours after you respond to the course evaluation request. You can also view your grades using the New School mobile app.
    3. If your grade report shows a blank, the grade has not yet been submitted by the instructor.
    4. If you do not submit a course evaluation (or formally opt out), your grades will not be visible until after the official close of the course evaluation period at the end of the academic term. Until that time, View Your Grades will display the grade as IP.

    If a Grade Is Not Posted for a Course

    Instructors are supposed to post grades within two weeks after the course end date as published in the academic calendar. If the grade for a course is not posted by this deadline, contact the instructor as soon as possible. If necessary, contact your faculty advisor.

    Computing Grade Point Average (GPA)

    Semester GPA is computed at the end of each academic term by multiplying the number of credits earned in each course by the numerical value associated with the grade received in that course. The grade points for all your courses are totaled, and the total is divided by the number of graded credits attempted, including failed courses if any.

    Cumulative GPA is computed by dividing the total number of grade points earned to date (quality points) by the total number of graded credits attempted. Note: Credits transferred from other institutions are not included in GPA because only credit points (not grades) are transferred.

    Numerical Value of Letter Grades for GPA Computation

    Letter GradePoint Value
    A -3.7
    B +3.3
    B -2.7
    C +2.3
    C -1.7
    D (undergraduates only)1.0

    Grades Not Included in GPA

    W = Withdraw (no academic penalty)
    I = Temporary Incomplete
    N = Permanent Incomplete
    P = Pass (credits count toward degree)
    U = Unsatisfactory (credits not counted toward degree)
    Z = Unofficial Withdrawal
    AP = Approved (noncredit certificate)
    NA = Not Approved (noncredit certificate)
    GM = Grade Not Reported

    Policies Regarding Grades of Incomplete and Grades Not Reported

    A Grade of I (Incomplete) will be assigned only if a student has filed a request for a grade of incomplete with the instructor and the instructor approves the grade. Unless the instructor submits a regular letter grade within the period of time required by the student's academic program, a grade of I or GM will automatically convert to F or N as described below.

    • Undergraduate students: Grades of I convert to F at the end of the seventh week of the spring semester for fall courses and at the end of the seventh week of the following fall semester for spring and summer courses. Unreported grades for undergraduates convert to Z two weeks after the official end date of the course.
    • Graduate students: Grades of I and GM for graduate students convert to N one year after the end date of the course. (PhD students at The New School for Social Research should consult their school's catalog (see link upper right) for additional policy information about grades of Incomplete.)

    Graduate students who are permitted to retake a class to make up a grade of Incomplete must register for the course and pay tuition as an auditor.

    Change of Grade

    Final grades are subject to revision by the instructor (subject to approval by the dean or school's office). The deadline for undergraduate students is the final date of the semester following the term in which the course was taught. For graduate students, the deadline is one year after official end date of the course. After the designated deadline, or if a degree has been conferred, the grade recorded in the Registrar's Office becomes a permanent part of the student's academic record, and no changes are allowed.

    Grade Appeal Policy

    A student can petition for academic review of a grade by following the procedure outlined below within 60 days from the date the grade was posted or within 30 days if the student has petitioned to graduate. Before appealing for a change of grade, you should first ask the instructor to explain his or her reasons for assigning the grade. If you are not satisfied with the explanation, you can appeal the grade as follows:

    • Write a letter to the faculty member stating clearly your objection to the grade received and requesting a different grade. Copy your letter to the department chair or director, or, if the faculty member is also the department director, to the dean or school's director.
    • The instructor must return a written response to your letter within one month of receipt, likewise copied to the department chair or director (or the school's dean or director).
    • If you are not satisfied with the faculty member's response, you can appeal further by writing to the school's dean or director, who will designate another member of the administration or faculty to review your and the instructor's previous communications.
    • The person designated will convene an appeals committee to investigate your outstanding differences and make a recommendation to the dean or director. The dean or director will make a final decision about the grade.

  • Other Policies

  • Academic Standing

    Refer to your school's catalog for school-specific policies relating to academic standing. Students are responsible for meeting all department and program academic requirements to remain in good standing.

    Undergraduate Students

    Matriculated undergraduate students must maintain a term and cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 to remain in good standing. Any student whose term GPA and/or cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 will be placed on academic probation, and if GPA remains below 2.0 for two consecutive semesters, the student will be dismissed. Any undergraduate whose term GPA falls below 1.0 will be dismissed.

    Refer to your school's academic catalog for more information about academic standing.

    Graduate Students

    Matriculated graduate students must maintain a term and cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 to remain in good academic standing. Any student whose term GPA and/or cumulative GPA falls below 3.0 will be placed on academic probation. If term and/or cumulative GPA remains lower than 3.0 for two consecutive semesters. the student will be dismissed.

    Any graduate student who fails to complete one-half of accumulated attempted credits over two consecutive semesters will be placed on probation and may not be permitted to register for courses and/or equivalency credits in the following semester.

    Students can refer to their school's academic catalog for more information about academic standing.

    Dean's List

    Full-time undergraduates who earn a term GPA of 3.7 or higher are placed on the Dean's List for their school, an honor that is noted on the student's transcript. The Dean's List is published on February 1 for the previous fall term and July 1 for the previous spring term. (There is no Dean's List for the summer term.) Click here to view your transcript to see if you have made the Dean's List.

    Class Rank

    The New School does not rank the members of a graduating class.

    Leave of Absence

    Students in good academic standing who feel they need to leave their program for a period of time for personal reasons should petition for a leave of absence. Students must obtain an official Exit form from the dean's office in their school and return it to the designated academic officer as far in advance of the planned absence as possible.

    Most programs will grant a leave of absence for one semester or a school year. Some programs require that leave be taken for an entire school year due to need to maintain a class cohort curriculum.

    Recipients of student loans should note that a leave of absence constitutes a break in their program of study, resulting in loss of their loan repayment grace period and/or eligibility for repayment deferment. They should consult Student Financial Services prior to filing the Exit Form. International students on F1 and J1 visas normally fall out of status and must leave the United States the during a leave of absence. They should consult International Student Services prior to filing the Exit form.

    Academic records for students on leave are maintained in accordance with the relevant drop and withdrawal deadlines. Refunds are calculated in accordance with the university refund schedule.

    Withdrawing from a Program or the University

    A student who wishes to withdraw from an academic program without completing the course requirements should meet with the designated academic affairs officer of his or her school and fill out the official Exit form with the officer. Leaving school without filing the Exit form is not advisable for academic and financial reasons. A student who withdraws and subsequently wishes to return must apply for readmission.

    If a student withdraws before the end of the academic term, records will be maintained in accordance with the relevant drop and withdrawal deadlines, and refunds will be calculated in accordance with the university refund schedule.

    Academic Probation and Dismissal

    Any student whose grades fall below the standards defined to remain in good academic standing (term and cumulative GPA of 2.0 for an undergraduate and 3.0 for a graduate student) may be subject to dismissal. Academic dismissal occurs only after a student has been warned by being placed on probation, except that an undergraduate student whose term GPA is less than 1.0 is dismissed automatically.

    A student who is dismissed based on fall semester grades must be notified before the next spring semester classes begin. If the decision to dismiss is delivered after spring term classes begin, the student must be allowed to attend classes on probation for the spring term.

    A dismissed student who later wishes to return to the same program must apply for readmission.

    Dismissal Appeal

    A student who receives notice of dismissal may petition the dean or director of his or her school to reverse the decision by filing a formal appeal. The appeal must be presented in writing, with supporting documentation, within two weeks of receiving the dismissal notice.

    Appeals must contain the following information:

    • The student's explanation for poor performance and/or failure to complete required coursework.
    • A description of the student's plans to improve academic performance and/or to complete outstanding work.
    • Any other relevant information pertaining to the student's academic accomplishments or potential.

    Students can expect to hear the results of an appeal within two to four weeks of submission. The decision of the dean's office is final.