ESL+Music (Certificate)

Student Life 1

Your Pathway to Music Studies in the United States

The ESL + Music certificate program is designed for individuals who need to raise their score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language to be admitted to a music school in the United States or in another English-speaking country, or who want to adjust to university life in the U.S. before starting a music program.

Program Features

ESL + Music is an inclusive program that combines

  • Private music lessons with Mannes College faculty members
  • Intensive English language study—speaking and listening, grammar, reading, and academic writing through The New School for Public Engagement
  • Reinforcement of English language studies in a Techniques of Music course and performance seminars
  • Flexible duration (one to four academic terms, that is approximately three months to two years) depending on a student’s level of proficiency in English
  • F1 student visa eligibility based on full-time student status

Students receive a certificate stating the number of hours of study completed in English as a second language after each semester of study. Permanent academic records are kept, and students can obtain a transcript of their courses.

ESL + Music students are eligible to live in university housing and have access to many of the other services and academic resources of The New School, including health services, an email account, practice rooms, library and computing services, tutoring, and free admission to Mannes College concerts, recitals, and other university events.

Tuition and Fees

NEW! Tuition has been reduced for the 2014-2015 academic year.

Tuition: $6,895 per semester with bi-weekly private lessons; $7,930 per semester with weekly private lessons

University Services Fee: $80 per semester

Health Services Fee: $285 (students who are not covered by their own medical insurance must also pay The New School’s Student Health Insurance premium each semester)

Fees other than tuition are payable at registration.

Housing application forms and fees are separate. If you are admitted to the program, you will be given information about applying for student housing.

Scholarships are available. Please contact the Extension office for more information. 

Connect with the New School