Proficiency examinations in English and Techniques of Music (music theory, ear training, dictation, and piano) and a live audition are required of all applicants. Students must test at level 3 (low intermediate) or higher in English to be admitted.
Note: Admission to and completion of the ESL certificate program does not guarantee admission to a degree or diploma program at Mannes College or another division of The New School. Prospective students must apply separately for degree and nondegree programs.
Application Deadlines for 2013–2014
April 15 for fall 2013 (late-decision deadline, June 1*)
November 1 for spring 2014
Required Application Materials
All items listed below must be received in the office of the Mannes College Extension Division by the deadline date.
- Completed, signed, and dated application form
- $100 application fee (see the application form for acceptable payment methods)
- Proof of graduation from secondary school or college: an official transcript translated to English. Transcripts must be received by Mannes College in a sealed and signed envelope.
Auditions and Proficiency Testing
Read the audition and testing guidelines. Auditions and testing will take place in New York City on the following dates:
- May 15–16, 2013 for fall 2013 admission
- July 8, 2013 for fall 2013 late-decision* admission
- December 5–6, 2013 for spring 2014 admission
After reviewing your application package and audition and proficiency test results, Mannes College Extension Division will notify you of our admission decision in a letter. If you are accepted, your letter will include information about applying for a student visa well as instructions about student housing, orientation, and registration for classes.
Direct any questions about visa eligibility to The New School’s International Student Services office.
*Enrollment is limited. Applications received after April 15 but before June 2 will be considered only if space is available.