Applying for Financial Aid

Financial aid is awarded on the basis of need. Merit is an additional factor in the determination of awards. Financial need is the difference between college expenses—including such items as tuition, books, meals, etc.—and the resources a student and his/her family have available to meet those expenses. Aid is distributed in the form of a package that may include gift aid (federal and state grants as well as university gifts) or self-help (loans and jobs).

Many students who do not qualify for gift aid are given loans or jobs to help defray expenses.
Although the financing of your college education is ultimately your responsibility, Eugene Lang College is committed to providing as much financial assistance as possible. All admitted students with U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status who apply for financial assistance and demonstrate need are awarded financial aid. Any student currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment at the college as a degree candidate is eligible to apply for financial aid.

Visiting students and special students are not eligible to apply for financial aid. Eugene Lang College accepts applications for financial aid from students who apply as freshmen or transfers for the fall (September) and spring (January) semesters.

Please remember to keep a copy of all completed forms.

U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents

Freshman and transfer admission applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and needing financial aid must follow these steps.

  1. Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the federal government (code #002780).  The FAFSA is available online -, or you may request a paper copy from the FAFSA processing center by contacting them at 1-800-433-3243.  The form should be completed in January in order to ensure receipt by our March 1 priority deadline.  Students applying for spring semester admissions should file the FAFSA in early September to ensure receipt by our November 1 deadline.  If necessary, estimated income figures may be used in filling out the FAFSA.
  2. Along with the above, apply for all sources of aid available to you, including state entitlement programs (such as the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) in New York State) and outside merit scholarships.

International Students

We welcome applications from students who are neither US citizens nor permanent residents.  Although such students are not eligible to receive federal or state financial assistance, we offer a few partial tuition grants to international students who qualify. 

For further information on additional outside sources of funding for international students, consult A Guide to Scholarships, Fellowships, and Grants: A Selected Bibliography. It is available free of charge from Communications Division, Box SB, Institute for International Education, 809 United Nations Plaza, New York, New York 10017, USA.

Connect with the New School