PhD, 2010, University of California, Los Angeles
Assistant Professor of Sociology, Director of Graduate StudiesProfile:
Iddo is interested in the ways in which interactions are patterned and how such patterns shape the way people experience themselves and the world around them. He is currently transforming an ethnography of an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood in Los Angeles into a book. He is also conducting research in Malawi, working on AIDS humor in everyday life, as well as the careers of NGO volunteers in comparative perspective. Drawing on observations in these fieldsites, he has also written about the logic of qualitative methods and more theoretical accounts of morality, flirtation, and temporality in interaction.Recent Publications:
• Forthcoming – "Coordinating Futures: Towards a Theory of Anticipation,”
American Journal of Sociology [with Nina Eliasoph]
• 2012 – "Theory Construction in Qualitative Research: From Grounded Theory
to Abductive Analysis,” Sociological Theory, 30(3): 167-186 [With Stefan
• 2012 – "Experiential Careers: The Routinization and De-Routinization of Religious
Life." Theory and Society, 41(4): 351-373 [With Daniel Winchester]
• 2012 – "Sex Work and the Construction of Intimacies: Meanings and Work
Pragmatics in Rural Malawi." Theory and Society, 41(3): 211-231 [with Michelle
• 2011 – "The Question of Moral Action: A Formalist Position." Sociological Theory,
• 2010 – "Of Yarmulkes and Categories: Delegating Boundaries and the
Phenomenology of Interactional Expectation." Theory and Society, 39(1): 49-68.
• 2009 – "Condom Semiotics: Meaning and Condom Use in Rural Malawi." American
Sociological Review, 74(2): 171-189, [with Ann Swidler].
• 2009 – "The Structure of Flirtation: On the Construction of Interactional
Ambiguity." Studies in Symbolic Interaction, 33: 59-74, 2009.
6 East 16th Street, Room 1013Office Hours:
Academic OH: Tuesday 12-4pmPhone Number/Extension:
Director of Graduate Studies OH: Tuesday 12-4pm
212-229-5737 x3034Email:firstname.lastname@example.orgResearch Interests:
Sociology of Religion, Theory of Method in Ethnography, Temporality, Phenomenology and InteractionCV (pdf):Iddo Tavory CV