Q. How do I learn more about individual study abroad programs?

A. There are four recommended options:

  1. Meet with the Study Abroad advisor to discuss opportunities and resolve any relevant questions or concerns. To arrange an appointment, contact the Study Abroad advisor, at langadvising@newschool.edu or in person at 64 West 11th Street.
  2. Attend Lang's annual Study Abroad Fair, where representatives come to give information about various programs. The fair occurs in late September or early October. Also attend the spring Study Abroad Info Session and other study abroad-related events. Announcements will be sent to your university email account.
  3. IIE Passport, StudyAbroad.com, and Lang's own Study Abroad office offer searchable databases with information on reputable programs.
  4. Read about the opportunity to spend your first year abroad through Lang's partnership with Global Citizen Year. Students earn credit in an intensive ten-month "bridge year" of service learning and leadership training in the developing world.

Q. Am I allowed to study abroad more than once? In more than one country?

A. The answers are yes and yes! You can even study abroad for an academic year in a different country each semester. As a reminder, though, you must have at least sophomore standing to qualify, and everyone has to fulfill a residency requirement in the senior year.

If you expect to spend more than one term abroad, sophomore and junior year are optimal. Short-term winter courses taught abroad by Lang instructors are available to seniors. And remember to remain in regular communication with your advisor and departmental chairperson to ensure that you make adequate progress toward completing your concentration.

Q. Do I pay Lang tuition when I study abroad?

A. Only for our Lang-sponsored programs. For all other programs, you must pay tuition directly to the program, though The New School will charge you the mandatory Student Health Services Fee (see below), which must be paid each semester. You will also receive a health insurance charge if you do not waive it (see below).

Q. How does financial aid apply to study abroad?

A. See the study abroad financial aid FAQs.

Q. How do I register for my semester(s) abroad?

A. Learn about registration in the study abroad procedures guide.

Q. How do I waive my New School health insurance policy for my semester or year abroad?

A. You may waive your New School policy through MyNewSchool only if you will receive alternate coverage. Important: Students studying abroad in the fall ONLY who wish to reinstate the New School policy for spring must show proof of terminated alternate coverage for fall. Students studying abroad in the spring ONLLY can waive the policy only if they did not use it during the fall. Contact Student Health Services for more information.

Q. Why does The New School charge a Student Health Services fee for my semester(s) abroad?

A. The Student Health Services fee, charged each semester, is mandatory for all undergraduates enrolled in six or more credits and all students enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan, regardless of their place of study. An undergraduate enrolled in six or more credits cannot waive this fee. This fee also includes a Basic Accident Plan (Plan 1) required for the university. The Basic Accident Plan covers students worldwide up to $10,000 per occurrence. This accident coverage is required by all undergraduates (six or more credits) enrolled at The New School, even if the student has his or her own personal insurance. For more information, contact Student Health Services, 135 East 12th St., New York, NY 10003, 212.229.1671.

Q. How do I register for the next semester while abroad?

A. See the section on registration in study abroad procedures guide. During the semester before you return to the United States, you'll be allowed to register for Lang classes from abroad. Registration occurs in November for the spring semester and in April for the fall semester.

Q: Can I study abroad as a freshman?

A: Yes! Students can apply to spend their first year abroad through Lang's partnership with Global Citizen Year or spend their second semester abroad through Lang's partnership with Parsons Paris. In addition, students are also eligible to participate in Lang's winter and summer short-term study abroad programs after completing one semester in residence.

Q. How does studying abroad affect my on-campus housing?

A. Study abroad students will be released from their housing contract. Students abroad with email access may select their room/apartment in the housing lottery as usual. The Office of Student Housing will email instructions to study abroad students about a month prior to the lottery period.

Q. How many credits will I receive for my studies abroad?

A. In general, students earn approximately 12–18 credits per semester. All coursework should be approved prior to departure by the Study Abroad advisor, which ensures general transferability of your expected classes. Applying classes towards your concentration requires additional approval from your concentration chairperson. When you complete your program, please remember that you must submit an official transcript to the Study Abroad advisor in order to have the credits evaluated and applied toward your degree program at Lang.

Q. How do study abroad courses impact my New School GPA?

A. While your abroad course titles and corresponding Lang subject codes will appear on your New School transcript, the grades will not appear and will not factor into your New School GPA. Keep in mind that if someone requests your academic history, such as for employment or graduate school admission, you will be asked to submit transcripts for each school you have attended, including for study abroad.

Q. Where should I send transcripts from my program?

A. You should have all official transcripts (sealed in original envelope) sent to the following address:

Study Abroad Advisor
Eugene Lang College
64 West 11th Street.
New York, NY 10011

You may also request to have a transcript mailed to your home address, just as a precaution. As long as the official transcript remains sealed in the original envelope, it can be delivered in person.