The Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) for Transfer Students
The Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) provides academic support and financial assistance to students who do not meet traditional admissions criteria but who show promise for mastering college-level work. Students accepted to Eugene Lang College through HEOP receive the following services, provided to help students attain individual success:
Required Items Checklist:
- Common Application
- Two Supplemental Essays
- Application Fee ($50)
- Official High School Transcript
- Official College/University Transcript(s)
- Counselor Recommendation
- Teacher Recommendation
- Standardized Test Scores (SAT or ACT) or Graded Academic Paper
- HEOP Application Form (Contact Admissions for more information)
You are an eligible transfer student if you have previously been enrolled in a similar opportunity program: EOP, SEEK, or CD.
Tutoring, a proven aid to academic success, is available for all students. Sessions take place in group and individual formats and are available through Lang College Academic Advising or directly through the HEOP office. Freshman and students experiencing academic difficulty are required to attend regular tutoring sessions.
All students receive personalized, one-on-one academic and career counseling. Counseling sessions help students to explore avenues for growth within the university, identify individual strengths, and ensure a healthy adjustment to college-level work. Students also receive ongoing support and guidance in making decisions about their major, internship opportunities, financial aid, postgraduate study or work, or other topics. In addition, group workshops are held monthly to develop study skills and share strategies for academic achievement.
Students are provided with full need financial aid packages designed to meet the cost of education through a combination of grants, loans, and work. In addition, students receive a stipend for books, supplies, commuting costs, and other school related expenses.
In order to be eligible for admission to the HEOP program at The New School, you must meet all of these requirements:
- Show proof of residency in New York state as determined by the Higher Education Services Corporation and have had no previous college experience (unless through a similar opportunity program: EOP, SEEK, or CD).
- Be educationally disadvantaged; an educationally disadvantaged student is one who would not normally be accepted under the university’s admission standards for matriculated status in a degree program of study.
- Be economically disadvantaged; economic eligibility guidelines for family income are established by the State Education Department.
- Possess a high school diploma or GED.
To apply for the HEOP program, see a HEOP fact sheet. To learn more about HEOP services at The New School, visit the university HEOP website.