Von Mahs, Robert Jürgen Freiherr
Robert Jürgen Freiherr Von Mahs
PhD, University of Southampton, UK;
MA, University of Southern California
Assistant Professor, Urban StudiesProfile:
My teaching and research is guided by my desire to generate a critical awareness and understanding of social problems in cities with to goal of developing doable solutions. I also hope to use my international background to help my students to obtain a more nuanced, globally aware perspective on social problems, its causes, consequences, and remedies.
- Urban Homelessness: Power, Space, and Time
- Urban Studies Speaker Series: Global New York
- Urban Toolbox
- Urban Spaces: Sociological Perspectives
- Homelessness and Public Policy in Post-Industrial Societies
- Globalization and the Welfare State (University of Pennsylvania)
- "The Socio-Spatial Exclusion of Homeless People in Germany and the United States," American Behavioral Scientist, 2005.
- "Welfare State Restructuring and Homelessness in Germany and the United States," Urban Geography, 2001.
Eugene Lang College, The New School for Liberal ArtsOffice Hours:Phone Number/Extension:
66 West 12th Street, Room 904
New York, NY 10011
212-229-5119 x2964Email:firstname.lastname@example.orgResearch Interests:
Homelessness and poverty; Globalization and comparative social policy; Criminalization of the poor; Deviance and social control; Ethnography and life course studies; Grass roots organizing and social movements.
Awards and Honors:
- American Sociological Association
- National Coalition for the Homeless
- Association of American Geographers
- Friedrich-Ebert-Foundation Graduate Scholarship
- The German Marshall Fund of the United States Research Fellowship
- Fulbright Scholarship