The Arts in Context concentration is designed for students who wish to study intensively in an Arts major discipline and a liberal arts discipline (such as Literary Studies, Culture and Media, Philosophy, Psychology, Urban Studies, etc.). In addition to Eugene Lang College courses, Arts in Context students can include courses offered by other university divisions such as Parsons The New School for Design or Mannes College The New School for Music in their electives. Arts majors may also enroll in any minor of their choice, including an Arts minor different from the artistic discipline already being studied in their major.
Before declaring the concentration in Arts-in-Context, a student must write a path statement in consultation with the Arts in Context program coordinator explaining his or her learning goals and selecting a set of courses.
CONCENTRATING IN ARTS IN CONTEXT
Arts in Context requires completion of 12 courses plus the Senior Capstone, as follows:
- Five courses in one of the Arts disciplines (Dance, Music, Theater, or Visual Studies), including one course with a historical focus
- Five courses in one of the Liberal Arts areas of study
- ULEC 2320 Aesthetics or another designated course in aesthetic theory
- One additional InterArts course identified by the subject code LINA (subject code LAIC before Fall 2010)
- Senior Capstone project, either the Senior Seminar or an Individual or collaborative independent project
Grades of C or higher must be received in all courses taken as part of the major area of study.