The Arts in Context concentration places responsibility upon students to articulate their own academic interests and goals. Before declaring this concentration, interested students meet with the Arts in Context coordinator as well as the coordinator of the Arts discipline they would like to study.
When declaring the Arts in Context concentration, students must submit a path statement along with their area of study declaration that explains what they hope to learn by pursuing this plan of study, what courses they have already taken that relate to this plan of study, and how it reflects their career goals.
Students who wish to combine two of the Arts major disciplines to fulfill Arts in Context requirements should consult with the Arts in Context coordinator and the coordinators from both Arts disciplines to develop a specialized plan of study.
Concentration in Arts in Context (BA, The Arts)
Arts in Context requires completion of the following 12 courses and the Senior Capstone:
- Five courses in one of the Arts disciplines (Contemporary Music, Dance, Theater, or Visual Studies), including one course with a historical focus. Students should follow the minor requirements for that Arts discipline or an alternate course plan approved by the coordinator for that area of study.
- Five courses in a Liberal Arts area of study.
- ULEC 2320 Aesthetics or another approved aesthetics course.
- One additional LINA (Lang Interarts) course.
- Senior Capstone—either one of the Arts senior seminars or an approved individual or collaborative independent project.
Students must receive a grade of C or better in every course used to fulfill area of study requirements.