Professor of Media Studies and Dean of the School of Media Studies
Vladan Nikolic is professor of media studies and dean of the School of Media Studies at The New School.
He is an award-winning filmmaker and producer, who has written, directed and produced feature films, documentaries and immersive multi-platform media projects. He was among the digital filmmaking pioneers in the 1990’s; his films were awarded at numerous top US and international film festivals. His feature film, Love premiered at the Venice and Tribeca film festivals to critical acclaim. It went on to win awards at film festivals in Geneva, Switzerland, Barcelona, Spain, and the Best Director Award at the Tiburon International Film Festival. in 2010 he produced and directed one of the first transmedia films, Zenith, which combined story extensions and releases over multiple media platforms, resulting in millions of downloads.
He has consulted, lectured and led workshops and seminars on immersive media and cross-media storytelling at various universities and professional institutions in the US and internationally, and guided and facilitated the establishment of the first transmedia program in Asia at the Hong Kong Design Institute. His book Independent Filmmaking and Digital Convergence: Transmedia and Beyond was published in 2017 by Routledge/Focal Press.
- Independent Filmmaking and Digital Convergence: Transmedia and Beyond, book published by Routledge/Focal Press, 2017
- Bourek, fiction feature film - writer, director, producer, 2015
- Allure, fiction feature film - writer, director, producer, 2014
- Zenith, fiction feature film - writer, director, producer, 2010
- Here and There, fiction feature film - producer, 2009
- Fire Under the Snow, feature documentary - producer, 2008
- The City, feature documentary - writer, director, producer, 2007
- Love, fiction feature - writer, director, producer, 2005
Digital filmmaking - writing, directing, producing; Modes of media production and distribution; Transmedia, crossmedia and immersive media storytelling techniques; New media technologies.
- Best NY Narrative, Tribeca Film Festival
- Best Film, Barcelona Film Festival
- Best Director, Tiburon Film festival
- Special Mention, Geneva Film Festival
- Best Film, Telluride Indiefest
Writing & Dir:Script to Screen
Writing & Dir:Script to Screen (Spring 2019)