Transfer and Advanced Standing Credit

  • Both first-year students and transfer students can have college-level work evaluated as advanced standing (such as AP, IB, etc.) and/or transfer credit in the following amounts:

    • Advanced standing: up to 32 credits
    • Transfer credit (including advanced standing): up to 60 credits

    Review answers to some of the most frequently asked questions below. Students wishing more detailed information should review our full policy. Transfer students should refer to the Transferring to Lang website.

    College-Level Coursework

    • Official transcripts must be submitted by each individual college or university.
    • Coursework must be similar in nature to courses offered at The New School.
    • Courses must have been taken within the last ten years.
    • Students must have earned a grade of “C” or better for the courses. If the courses were taken Pass/Fail, a grade of Pass must be equivalent to a “C” or better.
    • Credit will not be offered for remedial coursework.

    Credit by Examination

    • Test scores must be sent directly from the College Board, International Baccalaureate Organization, or other test agency, as applicable. The New School test code to submit AP exam scores is 2521.
    • Common exams and equivalencies are as follows:
    Exam Score Required Credit Awarded
    AP 4 or 5 4 credits per exam
    IB Higher Level 5, 6, 7 8 credits per exam
    A-Levels A, B, C 8 credits per exam

    Additional Information

    • Lang does not offer transfer or advanced standing credit for life experience or internships.
    • Transfer students will be notified of an approximate transfer credit amount in their offer of admission and emailed a Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) approximately three business days after being offered admission.
    • First-year students who submit a tuition deposit will be evaluated for advanced standing/transfer credit before the start of their first term.
    • All transcripts and test scores a student wishes to have considered for advanced standing or transfer credit must be received by The New School before the end of their second semester at the university.
    • Transfer credit or advanced standing credit will only be applied to a student’s major with the approval of the academic department chair.