• The following information will guide you through the process of applying to study abroad. Find answers to general questions in our FAQ. Remember to contact an advisor if you need help. You should never feel alone in this process.

    1. Determine whether you are eligible. To be eligible to study abroad, you must:

    • Complete one year in residence or have 30 transfer credits (i.e., have at least sophomore standing)
    • Earn a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0. Note that the minimum GPA requirement for some programs may be higher.
    • Plan to complete any study abroad program by the end of your junior year if you are a Lang BA student (as a senior, you have a residency requirement). BA/BFA Parsons students can study abroad in their third or fourth year, depending on coursework requirements. BA/BFA Jazz students: Speak with the Office of Academic Affairs at Jazz or with the Study Abroad advisor.

    2. Research programs.

    3. Obtain approval for study abroad. Submit your application for internal approval to study abroad through the Go Abroad application portal. You will need to submit the Internal Application Form, Supplemental Questionnaire, and a copy of your transcript.

    4. Obtain approval to apply classes to your major. If you would like to apply the courses you are taking abroad toward your major/minor requirements, you must obtain approval from the faculty chair or director. A maximum of three courses can be applied toward your major and one course can be applied toward your minor requirement.

    5. Submit your study abroad applications by the deadline.

    • Once you have been approved for study abroad, you can apply directly to your program of choice. Application procedures vary depending on program type.
    • Apply early whenever possible, especially since some programs have rolling deadlines. Program deadlines tend to fall in October/November for the spring semester and March/April for the fall semester and academic year.

    6. Determine what your financial aid options are and complete a consortium/contractual agreement.

    • Learn about funding resources, discounts, and scholarships available for students studying abroad.
    • If you receive financial aid, meet with a financial aid counselor to learn how your aid can be applied to your abroad program.
    • If you choose one of our Lang-sponsored programs, you should remain eligible for both institutional and federal funds. You cannot receive institutional aid from The New School for any other program, although you may maintain eligibility to receive federal aid.
    • If federal loans are approved for transfer, you should complete a consortium/contractual agreement form (available from Student Financial Services or the Study Abroad advisor). This form is not required for any of our in-house programs.

    7. Register for study abroad.

    • Inform the Study Abroad advisor as soon as you are accepted to a program. During the registration period (November for spring; April for fall), you should arrange with the Study Abroad advisor to register for “mobility” credits for the semester(s) you’ll be abroad. These are merely a placeholder to maintain your Lang enrollment status. As such, they don’t represent a final evaluation of your credits.
    • Summer programs: Different registration procedures may apply; contact the Study Abroad advisor.
    • Important: If you have not been notified about admission to your abroad program before Lang’s registration period, register for courses at Lang as a backup. Once you receive notice about admission, the Study Abroad advisor can adjust your registration accordingly.
    • A note on transferring credits: after the Study Abroad advisor has received your official program transcript, the mobility credits will be replaced as long as the courses have been approved and you have earned a grade of C or higher. While your abroad course titles and corresponding Lang subject codes will appear on your New School transcript, the grades will not appear and will not factor into your New School GPA. Keep in mind that if someone requests your academic history, such as for employment or graduate school admission, you will be asked to submit transcripts for each school you have attended, including for study abroad.

    8. Follow these steps before you depart.

    • Complete your financial aid consortium/contractual agreement (if applicable), passport and visa application, and all other documents, and submit them to the appropriate offices and agencies before departing.
    • Keep in mind that federal aid isn’t available until after the semester starts. To ensure that you receive your financial aid refund to use towards your study abroad expenses, visit MyNewSchool to request an electronic transfer. You can also designate another adult (parent, family member, or close friend) to endorse and deposit your funds to a bank account from which you can withdraw money while you’re abroad. If you prefer not to do this online, you should give the bursar an address to which your refund check can be mailed and get a power of attorney form from Student Financial Services with which to designate your proxy.
    • Remember to pay your Student Health Services fee (required of all full-time students). Also remember to waive your New School health insurance through MyNewSchool if you will receive alternative coverage. Important: Students studying abroad in the fall only who wish to reinstate the New School policy for spring must show proof of terminated alternative coverage for fall. Students studying abroad only in the spring can waive the policy only if they did not use it in the fall. Contact Student Health Services for more information.
    • Important: As the traveler, you are expected to arrange to receive your passport and visa (if applicable) for your time abroad. Unless your study abroad program specifically mentions that assistance is offered, you assume full responsibility for obtaining your travel documents. Refer to the admissions materials from your host institution or program for instructions. Remember to apply early, as paperwork can take some time to be processed.

    9. Keep in touch with your advisors while abroad.

    • As soon as you arrive at your destination, contact the Study Abroad advisor to confirm that you have Internet access for registration purposes (see the section on registration below).
    • Remember that you can contact your faculty advisor and concentration chairperson while abroad. Contact the Study Abroad advisor if you have any questions or concerns.

    10. Register for your next semester’s courses at Lang while abroad.

    • During the semester before you return to the United States, you’ll be allowed to register for Lang classes while abroad. Registration occurs in November for the spring semester and in April for the fall semester.
    • Shortly before registration, the Study Abroad advisor will email you via your New School account with registration dates and materials, as well as your registration PIN number. You can also find most registration materials on Lang’s registration homepage.
    • If you have Internet access abroad, you’ll be able to register during your class year’s normal activation period through MyNewSchool. If you have limited Internet access or if you encounter any problems, contact the Study Abroad advisor, who can assist with your registration.

    11. Sign up for Lang on-campus housing while abroad. If you have Internet access abroad, you will be able to select your room or apartment as usual during the housing lottery. The Office of Student Housing will email your New School account with instructions about a month before the lottery period.

    12. Check in with the Study Abroad advisor when you return. Every student who participates in an international program should meet with a study abroad advisor upon returning. You can discuss your academic experience abroad, pending transfer credits, readjustment to Lang and the United States, and any other concerns. Many students return to the United States with a more global perspective and a thirst for international education, but some experience reverse culture shock. This might include:

    • Unexpected emotional highs and lows
    • Feelings of disorientation and frustration with one's culture
    • Doubts about core values and beliefs

    You don’t have to process your feelings alone. Support is always available from your advisors. For more resources on re-adjusting to life at home, visit our new website.