• How do I open a bank account?

    How do I get a social security number (SSN)?

    You must have a letter from your employer to get a social security number. Bring that letter to the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office and complete the ISSS Service Request Form to request a letter from ISSS. Take both letters to your local Social Security Administration office to request a number.

    Can I get support letters for SSN and driver license applications, a relative's visit, military postponement, etc.?

    Yes. Ask at the ISSS front desk and complete the ISSS Service Request Form.

    Do I need to be concerned about taxes if I did not earn any money last year?

    Yes. Everyone must file federal, state, and local tax returns in April for the preceding year. Look for the ISSS Tax Support Program (workshops, forms and instructions, and software) in March. See the Tax Obligation Handout (PDF) for more information.

    Can I enroll part-time this semester?

    Only if it is your last semester and you need less than a full course load to complete your studies. If this is the case, you must complete and submit a Reduced Course Load Authorization Form (PDF) to the ISSS office. If you plan to drop below full-time or drop classes for any other reason, it is best to first see an International Student Advisor about your case.

    I have moved. Whom should I notify?

    You can change your address with the university and the ISSS office via my.newschool.edu. You must notify ISSS within 10 days of your move. When you notify ISSS, we will automatically notify the U.S. government.

    Do I need to have health insurance?

    Yes. Health care in the United States is extremely expensive and ALL students are advised to enroll in the school health insurance plan. J-1 students and dependents are required to have health insurance. If you have a dependent or have questions about your health insurance, see an international student advisor or email Jeannette Krupinsky at krupinsj@newschool.edu.

    Where do I look for an on-campus job?

    Visit The New School careers site and click on "Students." You must be a currently registered matriculating student at The New School to apply for these positions. We also recommend that you check individual offices where you wish to work, as there may be immediate openings available. F-1 students do not need to receive prior authorization from ISSS to work on campus. J-1 students must get written authorization from their RO. NOTE: Students in F-1 or J-1 status are not eligible for student positions labeled "Federal Work Study," as these are a type of financial aid open only to U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

    Are there really limits to where I can work and how many hours I work?

    Yes. Usually students are limited to working 20 hours per week during the semester. SeeWorking under F-1 statusor Working under J-1 status. Then see an international student advisor about your case.

    I have questions about my I-94 status and about my visa. Whom do I talk to?

    Discuss all your immigration- and visa-related concerns with an international student advisor. To avoid receiving misinformation, it is best not to seek advice from friends, even if they are also international students, as each situation can be different.

    I lost my passport. What should I do?

    File a police report, notify your country's consular office, and let ISSS know as soon as possible.

    I lost my I-20, DS-2019 Card, or other important document. What should I do?

    Come to ISSS right away with any documents or copies of documents that you still have.

    I plan to travel outside of the United States. What do I need to do?

    Request a travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 at the ISSS front desk at least a week in advance using the ISSS Service Request Form.

    Do I need a travel signature while on F-1 OPT or J-1 academic training?

    Where can I obtain my New School ID Card?

    You should visit Campus Card Services at 72 Fifth Avenue, lower level.

    I am a transfer student and the visa in my passport lists my previous institution's name. Does this pose a problem?

    No. You are allowed to transfer to another institution in the United States, and your visa from your previous institution is still valid as long as it hasn't expired. If it has expired, you should ask an international student advisor how to renew it.

    If I take a "W" grade for a course during the middle of a semester, does that mean I am no longer full-time?

    If you receive a "W" grade for your course, you cannot count the credit for that course toward your full-time enrollment requirement. For example, if you registered and enrolled for 12 credits and you receive a grade of "W" for three credits, you will only receive nine credits of total enrollment. You will drop below full-time if full-time enrollment for your program is 12 credits. If you do not know how many credits you must be enrolled in, contact an international student advisor.

    How can I subscribe to ISSS News?

    ISSS News is a newsletter aimed at providing important information to international students, professors, and scholars at The New School. The newsletter advertises events and workshops on campus, covers recent events and student achievements, and announces critical deadlines and changes to immigration regulations.

    University email accounts are automatically subscribed. If you're not automatically subscribed, email us at iss@newschool.edu and we'll sign you up.