Extending Your Program or Requesting Renewal
Look carefully at item #5 on your I–20 or item #3 on your DS–2019. This is the date you are expected to complete your program of study or your exchange visit. If you are a student, this date assumes that you are enrolled full-time in your program of study and making "normal progress." Full-time enrollment and making "normal progress" are requirements for maintaining either F–1 or J–1 status.
If during the course of your studies or academic work at The New School you find that you will not finish by the completion date indicated on your I–20 or DS–2019, you must request a program extension (or program renewal for ESL students). You must make your request at least 30 days before the stated completion date.
You must submit:
- ISS Service Request Form
- Certificate of Program Extension/Completion Form completed and signed by your academic advisor.
- Official letter from an academic advisor or health care professional explaining the compelling and specific academic or medical reason why you need more time. This letter should be on official letterhead (or emailed from the advisor's New School email account), dated, and signed. Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not an acceptable reason for a program extension.
- Current (within four months) financial documents covering the estimated expenses of your program until the new program end date that was approved by your advisor
- For Year 1, funds must be liquid (currently in a bank account).
- For future years, show how funds will be available (e.g., investments, sponsor's proof of salary or recent tax documents showing income).
- If you have a sponsor, submit a new Affidavit of Support completed and signed by your sponsor.
- Please find the current Estimate Expenses information for each New School division:
The New School for Public Engagement
The New School for Social Research
Parsons The New School for Design
Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts
Mannes College The New School for Music
The New School for Drama
The New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music